Yours Truly Angry Mob review by Kaiser Chiefs

• Released: Feb 5, 2007
Kaiser Chiefs: Yours Truly Angry Mob

This is not one of those albums you're going to like first time you hear it, especially if you're a diehard Kaiser fan. But as you listen more and more, you suddenly realise, it's still the Kaiser Chiefs; it's just that this time around, their feet are planted firmly on the ground. Gone are the oh-so-unnecessary 'Woah!'s that had become a trademark of the fledgling group. In their place, we have a rhythmical album, with many ups and downs, and I don't know if their guitarist took a crash course with Eric Clapton (like MCR), but his sound has improved unbelievably since the last albums. The solos actually work with the songs now! Some of the songs are a little bit samey, but they are mostly fun and great to listen to. I would also like to mention the pining ballad 'Love's Not A Competition' as the best song on the album. The Chiefs have evolved from immature monkeys to big, strong men.

Ricky's amazing voice returns again in full force on YTAM, with his vocal talents extremely apparent on songs such as 'Love's Not A Competition', 'Learnt My Lesson Well'(which by the way brings out the best in everybody on the Kaiser team), and 'Try Your Best'. Rhythmically, the lyrics are well written to fit to the music, although his actual lyrical ability still leaves something to be desired. Thankfully, his suitcase full of irony, sarcasm and wit help to portray his perspective on life in England. This time around, the lyrics seem more personal and it's easier to understand what he's talking about. Also, whereas on the last album, Emplyoment, the Kaiser Chiefs used the random lyrical conception immortalised by the Red Hot Chili Peppers song 'Can't Stop', these lyrics actually make sense. Another interesting point to note is how Ricky's lyrics were almost written as a monologue: 'I remember nights out when we were young/They weren't very good, they were rubbish/Running round Highroyds isn't fun/Just teenagers testing their courage.'

There was so much hype and build-up to this album that it's hard not to be disappointed with such feeble efforts like 'Thank You Very Much' and 'I Can Do It Without You', but they more than make up for it with summer anthems like 'The Angry Mob' and 'Everything Is Average Nowadays'. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the album with which they 'break' North America. With 'Ruby' getting continuous airplay alongside The Fratellis' 'Flathead', I don't think it'll be much too long before the Kaisers become a strange, albeit household, name. I have a general rule of thumb: If you hate it the first time, it's a good album; if you love it the first time, it's going to annoy you in weeks to come. Suffice to say I hated Yours Truly, Angry Mob the first time I heard it.

Daniel Pearce
    This is an amazing album Note... buy it! - it is, if not better than the first. Download - Ruby, Angry Mob, Hiyroyds + Everthing is Average Nowadays. It's bigger, better, louder. Much better guitar riffs and whole band fits together perfectly.
    wickedbardy
    Intresting new album, sounds quite good but some of the lyrics are just so cheesy!
    Bozjoarmstrong
    chris flatley, what makes you say its 'only going to appeal to the widest audience'? just because people like it? 'everything is average nowadays' isn't doing so well, but it's still the same song. In fact most of the songs would not appeal to the widest audience.
    'Vaguely melodic?'
    I can gurantee Mr Flatley has not heard the album
    seventh_angel
    Personally, I believe this album is worst than Employement because they sound like they're not having more fun. What characterized more Employement was the album's good mood. And this album lost it...
    red157
    Everything is average nowadays, though nothing moreso than this album. At least Employment was fun.
    tamnud
    this album is eassily better than employment and emplyment was rather amazing try your best, my kind of guy and learnt my lessons well are my definite favourites