12 Gauge review by Kalmah

• Released: Feb 24, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Kalmah: 12 Gauge

The opening track, Rust Never Sleeps, opens with an acoustic intro that reminds me of the acoustic intros to some of the songs the album The Jester Race from In Flames such as Moonshield. However once the actual distortion come in their guitar work and overall production reminds me more of Children of Bodom. This is especially the case on the second track One of Fail which might as well be Children of Bodom (to me at least). From then on they tend to jump back and forward between these sounds but overall they tend to stay more with that Children of Bodom sound throughout. If you like both of these bands then this should go down well with you. As for me I've grown out of both those bands now but something about this still sounds good to me.

The vocals are a deeper growl than either In Flames or Children of Bodom but not by all that much. The vocals are constant. By that I mean they don't switch between high pitched screeching and "proper" death growls as many bands do now. For me this is good. I'm not a big fan of the new wave deathcore vocals or screamo.

I like the guitarwork, the vocals and even the background synth stuff works quite well. Also, after the first few tracks they seems to use less and less of these effects or else they just seem to become harder to distinguish from the guitar riffs. The solos are quite well used. They don't stand out too much over everything else and they don't go on for too long so the songs have a solid flow throughout. Any fans of Bodom or In Flames should like this album. And if you like both bands this should be a good album to get. For me personally I didn't find anything to special about it. There's nothing new or revelutionary about it.

lethaldosage45
    I like this new album, but I will always prefer their earlier albums just because I grew up with them. They influenced my playing for sure, and opened up my melodic side.