Ghost Opera review by Kamelot

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
Kamelot: Ghost Opera

I'm the one who reviewed Th Black Halo not long ago and now, well, it's time to review Kamelot's follow up to their best album to date and, to my opinion, the best metal album to date: The Black Halo. This is Ghost Opera, a melodic/gothic/progressive metal album. On this one, Kamelot have continued the dark and gothic path that they have started with The Black Halo and, honestly, they've done a decent job of making it creepy and horrofying. Thomas' guitar work is superb and very technical, and hard to figure out in some songs like Rule The World, Up Through The Ashes and Mourning Star. The biggest aspect of the sound is in fact, the sound, the actual recording of the album is so amazing and just as impressive as The Black Halo. Their producers Sasha Paeth and Miro are just so incredibly talented in the studio department. Excellent work guys, keep up the good work.

What's to say about the lyrics, it's standard Kamelot work. They realy bring out the emotions and frights felt in the songs. Other than that I guess I'd have to type the songs' lyrics. If I'd have to name the songs that seperate themselves from the rest they would be; "Love You To Death", which they added a female voice to really bring out love felt in the songs' "story", and second would be "Anthem" which is a really sad ballad just like the last album's "Abandonned". The most noticable aspect on the lyrical work is the, once again, amazing singing and voice work done by the the best lead singer in the metal scene(that's my opinion), Roy Khan. His singing, once again, is excellent and even thought they've put some artificial voices here and there, he still improves on the way these voices are used and even when there aren't any artificial work, his natural voice just brings the songs to life and puts you in the mood of the songs. Unbelievable.

When they made The Black halo, they have done such a remarkable job that they've set their standards too high to surpass it, so that may be the reason why this album isn't an improvment over the last one, but it still is a very good album and should not be missed. Fans are sure to not be dissapointed with this one. Songs that are the most impressive on this album would be in first place: the title track, Ghost Opera, very impressive; second is Eden Echo; third, Rule The world; and the rest are all equal. What I liked about this album is that they tryed to do something different from what are used to and really succeded in actualy making it good, unlike other bands. The only problem I had with it is that the songs are kinda short. I would have liked them to be a bit longer. This is defenately an album that I will make sure that I don't lose it, but should it happen some day, I would probably go buy another one and if it gets stolen, I will personaly visit everyone I know, and one by one will tie them up and force them to tell me what happened to my CD.

dsaanm
    sounds good and I'm first P.s:what's all the fuss of being first?
    Paroxysm
    Like the reviewer, I felt The Black Halo was their best album they came up with, but Ghost Opera was good as well (except for being only around 40-45 mintues, too short my taste). My fav. song off the album is Love You to Death. Nice intro, nice solo, and nice vocals from Kahn (as usual).
    marianoarnaiz
    I THINK IS A GREAT ALBUM, MAYBE TOO SHORT EVEN WITH THE EXTRA TRACK, IS A GOOD FOLLOWER TO THE BACK HALO AND SHOWS THE GOTH SIDE OF KAMELOT, ALSO NICE KEYBOARDS AND GRATS SOLOS, KHAN VOICE PERFECT AS ALWWAYS, I LOVE IT
    Golem29
    Good album but i would probably take this review with a pinch of salt since the reviewer is clearly a big Kamelot fan. The album is a large letdown after The Black Halo and Epica. The majority of the album sounds like the band are on auto-pilot, and are a bit short in the ideas department. The whole album just generally feels far too workman like and by the numbers. This is Kamelot though so the songs are all atleast decent. Anthem is probably the highlight, with Khan giving arguably his most emotional performance ever. Kamelot are at their best when they have a single unifying story to work with, as shown by the two previous albums and the Elizabeth trilogy on Karma. I'd i'm hoping they go back to that style of songwriting for their next release.
    shredtildeath
    Anthem the highlight? When there's the title track, Rule The World, Blucher and EdenEcho to contend with? No fcking chance.
    orchestral_fire
    Golem29. TeddyRamone. < Believe them not completely. Not always did I like Kamelot... I do now. Musical Supremacy was their priority. They did that. They had clear messages in Epica and The Black Halo. This is why they were longer. Ghost Opera is by no means short on the ideas department. Every song is unique. Different styles found in all of them. I more than agree with Golem when he says that they should go back to working with a story board first and then add the music, but I feel that way, not because they aren't good in Ghost Opera but because there are still things left unsaid even after Epica and The Black Halo. Though the issues covered in Epica and Black Halo are deep and well presented, certain issues have not yet been touched. Which issues they are, you must find out on your own as they are best left at the hands of individual interpretation. I wish they do touch on these untouched issues in the coming albums. Ghost Opera touched on certain issues in tracks such as The Human Stain, Pendulous Fall(Bonus track which is brilliant) amongst others. The number of issues out there are countless and the ways of presentation are countless. Some are just more brilliant than others. Kamelot are brilliant. The one thing which sets Kamelot apart from other bands is their musical supremacy and their lyrical brilliance which has quite amazing depth, far more than anything you would expect.
    marianoarnaiz
    I DONT AGREE WITH ALL YOU GUYS, THE LYRICS THINGS IS A REST, I WAS A LITTLE TIRED OF THE SAME STORY THROUGT 2 ALBUMS, IS A GOOD REST. AND I DONT THINK THE SONG ARE IN ANY WAY ON "auto-pilot" THE MUSIC FLOW NICELY. AND THOGHT THE ALBUM IS SHOT I PRIBABLY CAUSE IT DOESNT HAVE 7 MINUTES ADDED BY ALL THE INTERMIDIATES
    Kamelot_Fan
    This album is great. I own it and i think that its very melodical and Khans voice is very clean. By the way, its not gothic metal