Late Registration review by Kanye West

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Kanye West: Late Registration

Before listening to this album, I thought Kanye West was a straight up gangster rapper, who would use rather electronic or techno-ey music for all his songs. However, I was proven to very wrong when I listened to his album "Late Registration". The backing for all the vocals varied greatly, with some tracks using electronic sounds, like I had expected, but others using brass instruments, choirs, and generally much more unexpected instruments. The sound was fantastic and contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the album.

Kanye West is a very impressive rapper, even if he does go a little off topic every now and then. His rhymes are clever, fast, and always feel right. Even in the smoother, calmer songs, his lyrics fitted beautifully, making this even more enjoyable. The skits that are used in the album too are rather bizarre, but not too out of place, working well with the rest of the album.

Compared to a lot of the rather generic rappers that can be found, Kanye West is something special, which is emphasised greatly in "Late Registration". There is a lot of emotion that has been put into many of these songs, especially the likes of "Roses". With intermittent skits and an overall experience that I have never experienced before. This is a must buy album for rap fans, in my opinion...

Amuro Jay
    Municipal Waste
    What the hell is this crap? Go to some rap forum and post this review. This is a site for people that actually play their own instruments. I do hear Kanye likes Fishsticks though.
    TriAxe222
    If people can hate on MegaDave for being egotistical, then they better damn sure be on equal footing with this gay fish.
    Municipal Waste
    Ibeanez
    Funny, I was reading the rules for posting yesterday, which said "no trolling". Then this review gets posted.
    rhs5110
    Get this shit off ultimate guitar seriously kanye is trash just like bieber
    Cannibal Koala
    jetfuel495 wrote: UG is a MUSIC forum. If hip hop is allowed in our Bands & Artists forum, it should be allowed on the front page. And I'm not going to waste my time arguing with people who say hip hop isn't music or it takes no skill. When Kanye says dumb things in the media you guys have a field day but the minute a review pops up everyone starts flipping tables. Get a grip. I love this album but College Dropout was better.
    chitownmike
    This is a great album, and although Kanye is a total jackass, he does put out some of the best hip hop today. He pushes the boundries and is not afraid to experiment with new sounds - doesn't always work - but he's always fresh. I love that there is a review for this on the site - I think it is important to listen to a little bit of everything, all styles. I'm more of a hard rock / metal guy, and there's not a lot of guitar on his tracks, but it doesn't hurt to branch out what you normally listen to.
    Von II
    Joshwalad wrote: The majority of UG users are musically retarded. Just because a guitar is not prominent or someone isn't singing/screaming/yelling doesn't mean that it's good music. Kanye is the only rap artist I love, and he is a musical genius, whether you can accept it or not. And sampling is a valid musical technique. Even if it's just looping a sampled beat, it's still music. And it turns amazing when artists like The Avalanches or Gotye construct songs with them.
    Why are you registered here?
    Mr Winters
    Haters gonna hate and all. I haven't heard this album and don't plan to do it, but yeah, you *****s get your guitar elitism up your ass. It's all music, so it has a place here. Get over it.
    Joshwalad
    EpiExplorer
    He's got the worst kind of ego, rubs off on his music too much. Also, sampling is a lazy way of writing music, its as if you couldn't be bothered to put in your own drum loop and said 'Right, youtube, old school hip hop, rip the audio, chop it up, there's a song'.
    Ibeanez
    If Kanye is a musical genius, then anyone who can open a bag of chips is a culinary genius.
    mafuhungy
    I thought it was a guitar forum?
    Miyagi84
    His magnum Opus, from a producing standpoint... he's not the best lyricist (though by today's sad standards, he is one of the best) but most of the beats he did (minus Crack music and Bring me down which are awful) are the best he's done on an album besides his work on Common's Be. Guest tracks are great especially the diamonds from sierra Leone. Dunno how many metal fans listen to hip hop, but I venture to say alot more than Hip Hop fans listen to actual metal.
    Amuro Jay
    Cannibal Koala wrote: Wait, you're telling me that the users on a website called "Ultimate-HipHop" wouldn't be pissed if a metal-head did a review on a Cannibal Corpse album? You might be able to do it, but it sure isn't the right place to be parading that genre.
    The difference is that the site is called "Ultimate-Guitar", not "Ultimate-Metal" or "Ultimate-Rockandroll". There are quite a few fans of the genre on this site (guitarists, at that), even if it isn't a prevalent fact. Similar to how guitar is in fact used in lots of hip hop, even though it isn't as prominent as other techniques. You're right, it is an odd place for an album like this. I won't deny that. I was merely addressing the people who stated this shouldn't be allowed.
    kerokero
    beineken
    i am blown away by these comments. kanye west is an incredible artist who exercises originality in nearly every aspect of his work. so what he uses sampling? so did the beatles. BY THE WAY, kanye has many tracks that use absolutely no sampling.
    Municipal Waste wrote: Wow, he can play a digital keyboard and use Pro-Tools. What a trailblazer. I don't have to look at hiphop at all thanks, I actually listen to real music. Not random lyrical nonsense over a 7 second looped beat.
    not sure if i've ever seen a more ignorant comment in my life (though some of the others posted here come close). did you purposefully construct your statements to imply "I'VE NEVER HEARD ANY KANYE WEST IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!! LISTEN TO MY EXTREMELY OUTDATED AND IGNORANT PERCEPTION OF RAP MUSIC!!!" 7 seconds? do you think kanye makes music with a mellotron? if you all need a guitar present in any particular song to recognize it as music, check out kanye's "Gorgeous" off My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy; the production is amazing and the lyrics are some of the best of this decade. of course, none of you will because you "don't have to look at hiphop at all thanks." i hope it's cozy inside your bubble.
    Andrew C. S.
    I've never been able to get into this guy's stuff. It's all very overrated to me. lol at all the elitists getting butthurt over a Kanye West album.
    rocklee1431
    It's funny that people will blindly say he sucks when they've heard maybe 2 of his songs on the radio. At least give his first couple albums a try.
    ragnarr023
    When I log onto UG after four to five hours of guitar practice and jamming along to Metallica, I look at this and almost fall off my chair. I really hope UG doesn't become filled with this rap trash and that it stays awesome as it usually is. Go to a rap forum and post the crap there.
    iommi600
    Poor guy (or girl?) who wrote this review... Here, take this potato and hold it inside your casket, you're about to be ran over by the UG's Musical Inquisition. Btw, I'm not really into this guy, so I can't really tell anything about the album.
    blaiseeee
    I definitely prefer his recent stuff to this, but it's still good. People trash talking because he has a big ego need to look at Dave Mustaine or Axel Rose for "big egos." And as far as hip hop goes, he is easily one of the best artists in the genre. Where's the guitar?.....in the top 100 tabs, right now Adele has 2 of the top 5. There's no guitar there either, but obviously people like it?
    mafuhungy
    kerokero wrote: ^Kanye does in fact play keyboards, compose and arrange his string and horn/gospel sections (sample or otherwise), and sings and raps. So yeah....he does play his own instruments.... People have to look at hip-hop and rap albums at the same perspective as an artists' solo album. for many, not everything on the album is going to be their original idea....but how it fits into the song, the timbre and its importance is all up to them. One style just so happens to use samples, and the other may steal some blues licks. At the end of the day, it's music, and it's all subjective. Stop worrying about instrumental prowess and let your ears enjoy1
    this is a ****ing guitar website. where is the guitar??
    Afroboy267
    I personally love Hip-Hop but Kanye West is a bit of an embarrassment. I'll take 2Pac or Ice Cube any day
    sottpwn
    There's a lot of very ignorant, narrow minded people on this forum. Kanye West is more musically talented than a LOT of "musicians" in the modern rock scene today. You're telling me guys from bands such as All Time Low and rubbish like that have more talent than Kanye? No chance. And I bet 99% of people on here haven't actually listened to any of his stuff apart from Heartless.