My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy review by Kanye West

• Released: Nov 22, 2010
Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

After the supposed flop of 808s & Heartbreak and the Taylor Swift controversy, Kanye has responded with an album that lyrically reflects on love, egoism and insecurity. Musically, Dark Fantasy mixes in Kanye's previous work in sampling vocals, as well as featuring some electronica and orchestral arrangements. Whilst the sampling of King Crimson and Aphex Twin has caused some minor controversy from fans, Kanye's guest artists (including Kid Cudi, Raekwon, Alicia Keys and Bon Iver)help the songs stand out (it should be noted that each track features more than one producer, highlighting the collaborative effort. In previous albums, there have been some tracks that Kanye has solely produced). Dark Fantasy is a hip-hop record, however the track 'Gorgeous' features some guitar work mimicking the melody of the chorus. 'Power' contains the King Crimson sample of '21st Century Schizoid Man', and 'Lost in the World' features samples of 'The Woods' by Bon Iver. Dark Fantasy relies on various samples and guest artists who make this album great (Kid Cudi on 'Gorgeous' is one example, and the excerpt from Gil Scott Heron's 'Comment #1' makes an interesting song in 'Who Will Survive in America'). Whilst Kanye isn't the best rapper, the compositions stand out in reflecting his lyrical content. 'Runaway' is a 9-minute song featuring lengthy intervals on the piano, and a 3-minute 'auto-tune solo' (supposedly by Kanye) is a nice addition (although fans have had mixed views on this, it really depends on the individual). The album brilliantly starts off with 'Dark Fantasy' and continues this brilliance for most of the time. Each track does stand out, however I found myself a bit bored with 'Devil in a New Dress' and 'Hell of a Life'. Not to say that they're bad tracks on their own, but that is just how I feel whenever I listen to the album. Overall, Dark Fantasy impresses musically, making music innovations in hip-hop by drawing on other music genres. I've never heard a hip-hop album sound like this before.

The best of Kanye's lyrics make reference to his 'shattered ego' if you like, and this is especially seen in 'Dark Fantasy', 'Power' and 'Runaway'. 'Dark Fantasy' reflects the nature of most Emcee's with the line 'me found bravery in my bravado'. 'Power' touches on Kanye's reflection on the backlash he received for the Taylor Swift controversy (he comes up with the clever line 'They say I was the abomination of Obama's nation / Well, that's a pretty bad way to start a conversation'. 'Runaway' reflects on Kanye's egoism, with the chorus featuring lines such as 'Let's have a toast for the douchebags / Let's have a toast for the assholes', with the chorus concluding on 'Baby I got a plan / Run away fast as you can'. On the other hand, Kanye's lyrics do feature some chauvinistic lines, seen in 'All of the Lights': 'I slapped my girl / She called the feds'. This type of attitude is evident in 'Monster' with the lyrics 'Have you ever had sex with a pharaoh / I put the pussy in sarcophagus / Now she claiming that I bruise her oesophagus'. Whilst this didn't put me off personally (I found it a bit amusing), this may put some people off. But I suppose that this is all part of the 'Dark Twisted Fantasy', and fits in well with the overall content of the album. In terms of delivery Kanye does have good flow. However he is not entirely impressive vocally, yet he seems somewhat improved from previous albums. I wouldn't call him the best rapper, that's all I'm going to say on that. Kid Cudi and Raekwon's guest appearance on 'Gorgeous' should be lauded, as well as John Legend's ('Blame Game') and Bon Iver's ('Lost in the World'). 'All of the Lights' features an array of guest artists (Fergie's vocal delivery is reminiscent of M.I.A.), yet manages to stand out as a whole. The most notable guest appearance is Nicki Minaj's verse on 'Monster' (she changes personas throughout her verse, and she manages to do this very well. I very much enjoyed listening to her verse, I hadn't listened to people changing personas in hip-hop until then). However, the same song features Jay-Z's poor verse, which has bad flow and lacks creativity in lyrical content (he starts off by listing various 'monsters'. Tied in with an uneasy delivery, it just doesn't work). Despite some impressive lyrics, I feel that the musical arrangements make this album impressive.

In comparing Dark Fantasy to Kanye's other albums, it's totally a subjective issue. For me personally, I find Dark Fantasy to be his best, as the album is really consistent from track to track (it only features one skit in 'Blame Game' featuring Chris Rock, and again, it has received mixed views from fans. I found it hilarious). Kanye has managed with this album to receive a majority of positive reviews, and he deserves the praise. Whilst I like this album, I don't think it's a 'perfect' album. It's 'great' bordering 'excellent'. After downloading the album prior to its physical release, I just had to buy the CD. And I'd get it again if I lost it, because it's definitely worth the listen.

Pagan_Poetry
    hugh20
    hugh20
    lolmnt
    I love this album. One of the best hip hop albums of recent memory. It's great beginning to end.
    Cheesepuff
    amazing music on this album. its like the sgt pepper of hip hop. but this is the wrong place to post a review, hip hop on a website named ultimate guitar is not going to go well
    Ebeli
    Lol this isnt Metal thats dumb kanye is a stupid head thats silly who listens to dumb rap thats just dumbs with mics saying bitches and hoes lol what idiots metal has real world integrity and should be respected because i am an authority on music production all u have 2 do 2 make a cool metal tone is just turn the mids down LOL I AM AN INSIGHTFULL AND INTELLIGERNT PERSON HGAHAHA KANYE U DUMB. -An average UG user.
    Jøhnny
    Shaico
    Yes, because the instrument of the guitar is solely limited to metal and rock.
    Amuro Jay
    Awesome album. If I see any fishstick jokes I will warn you. To anyone hating, Kanye is actually pretty smart when it comes to music. He apparently figures out his chord progression beforehand on an acoustic before creating the beats. He's also quite fond of tuning them half a step down. Pretty much every Kanye song I've tried to cover involves me tuning down half step. Also, at the end of Runaway there is what sounds like a really long talk box solo. Some people think its a vocoder, but you can hear what sounds like hands sliding across frets. It's also interesting to see the progression of musical and lyrical themes in the album. Most of you won't be able to appreciate it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Yes, Kanye is an ass and he occasionally makes terrible songs that are released as singles. His inflated ego has tainted his music. He is by no means a role model or a symbol of humility. But if that's all you see when you look at Kanye, you're only scratching the surface.
    EpiExplorer
    travislausch wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Seriously, where is the guitar in this? A King Crimson SAMPLE does not a guitar album, make. It's mentioned that there is a guitar part in the song "Gorgeous". But since it's probably not a chugging breakdown rhythm or a sweep picking arpeggio, you're probably lacking the ability to pick it out. Either that or you -gasp- judged the entire album without listening to it!
    You ****nut, saying that is like saying an orange is the same as an apple because its round. You can do better, really. Try it. I DARE YA. And anyway, Kanye has only ever done 3 good songs and they were either covers/remix things or had other artists involved. You know the ones, An I heard 'em say.. nothin' ever promised tomorrow today.
    FlyingPirahna
    Axeman96 wrote: tons of shredding and greaet guitar work on this album ..... COUGH!@
    You're 14, go listen to something besides metal then come back. This was the first Kanye album I ever heard, and I was really impressed by his production abilities. His lyrics not so much, but the music itself amps up his weak words and makes it a really solid record.
    Amuro Jay
    guitarsftw wrote: Splinter2101 wrote: Kanye west is an arrogant, egotistical ass. So is Axl Rose, and Appetite For Destruction and both Use You Illusion albums are awesome.
    Slam dunk post
    stndrdprcdre
    Anyone with half of a brain has caught on to the fact that rap albums are just one giant cluster****. Between the "collabos" and sampling of superior music, there's no way to tell who actually deserves any sort of credit on these things. Then on top of that, to post it on a guitar-oriented website? WTF?
    catastrofx617
    Jeranium
    Kanye West, though controversial and egotistical, is a musical genius if you give him an unbiased chance. Don't go in thinking, "Oh I'm not going to like this one bit". Rather just think, "Let's see what he has to offer musically". He really is a genius when it comes to his style of music. Granted I understand most the people are UG are strictly Metal fans and Band fans so I get all the negative comments but you just have to give it a chance.
    krvolok
    C0FF1NCAS3
    Michael Stewart
    Ima let you finish, but Kanye has the worst music of all time.
    TextOnTheScreen
    Cool rant, bro, but this a guitar website. If people want guitar music here, then you have no right to complain about it. If we want a website filled up with hip hop reviews then we would go to a website with people that know stuff about hip hop.
    krvolok
    You might hear it here or there not unlike the french horn in rock.That does not mean that it's a dominant or even a standard instrument like the guitar,which in rock is dominant.All of that is open for discussion,but the fact that hip hop doesn't have much to do on this guitar website.
    gapazian
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: This is the best hip hop album I have heard in years when we are being tossed garbage from a distance like Flo Rida and Soulja Boi. [...] and one that could be the best we'll see for a very long time
    Please, you sound quite ignorant to me as well. There was a ****load of great hip hop released in the last years, you just have to take a look. People hear hip hop, they instantly jump on the hate bandwagon because of people like Lil Wayne, Flo Rida et al. whereas we have incredible hip hop around. Rhyme Asylum, Chain of Command, Jehst, Task Force, MF Doom, Wu-Tang Clan members (who are still doing mind-blowing work), Lewis Parker. There is always great hip hop, very little in huge mainstream success, granted. Still, underground and especially UK hip hop is the greatest thing in the entire world. So keep those ignorant comments like "we rarely get good hip hop" to yourself. It's stupid and wrong.
    danny_unleashed
    I use to haaaaate kanye west but eventually i put that mind set away when I listened to this album and it blew me away. The personality of the guy himself doesn't matter but it's about the music he makes.
    cillianmlc
    this is a guitar website.....but at the same time this is a genre defining album...it crosses boundaries....amazing work by yeezy
    vppark2
    C0FF1NCAS3 wrote: Kanye is to music what fifty moneys and a type writer is to literature. These being the fifty monkeys that don't ever write Shakespeare and just kind of throw crap around. Kanye is a pretty good producer, but I don't think he can rap at all. Also he's a deplorable human being, narcissists are less egotistic. The man is an idiot, he put diamonds in his lower jaw and sits in his home listening to his own music so he can tell you how dope they are. Aside from that I don't like rap and I don't see why this is on a guitar sit.
    completly agree brutha
    pip08
    For me this album was pretty kick ass. As far as I know there is a lot of experimentation and boundary pushing as far as hip-hop goes on this album and it sounds great! I don't think by uploading a review here you are saying this is a guitar album. For those who think interrupting an acceptance speech is the most disrespectable thing ever I beg you to be a little more imaginative. Other people have done far worse.
    travislausch
    So now I got to listen to the album the whole way through. It's damn good. If more hip-hop were like this, I'd be deeming it worthy of more frequent inclusion in my listening habits. Is it the best hip-hop album ever? How the **** am I supposed to know? All I know is, I enjoy this. And now that I've heard more of it, I can confirm, there's guitar on several songs (and even a solo or two). All your "this is a GUITAAAAAR site" comments are pretty irrelevant.
    gapazian
    awb8576 wrote: well why i do have to wonder wtf this album is doing on guitar center, i do have to say that if you take the time to listen to the entire album as a musician it is probrably one of the best rap records ever made. i know its my favorite hip hop album of all time personally. kanye killed it.
    Let's not get crazy, ya? Whilst MBDTF is a great record, one of the best rap records ever? Sorry, mate. This album doesn't touch anything done in the golden age. And actually, I do think Big Boi's record is just as good as Kanye's. I actually think it's a little better. Good to see that RZA's co-produced track was off the hooks, makes me think he'll kill the production on The Genius' Liquid Swords 2.
    Sakke
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: Wow. already so much ignorance on here. Only on UG would you find a mainstream rap album that has broken boundaries with a "3.6" user score. Oh right, doesn't have guitar lol. Mind you, anything that isn't either death metal or indie would score horrendously on here. *rambling*
    I couldn't even read more. Pretty many bands that I do not like have got over 8.
    Jhnny wrote: [quote] Boohoo hurr durr derp derp. I think it's kinda obvious that the users of a guitar website don't like Rap pretty much... Was that a total surprise to you?
    I was just going to say that.
    barden1069
    Kanye can definitely produce solid music, and this album is no exception. However, there's no way in hell I will spend money on any of his products. He's just too much of an ***** for me.
    lusion01
    catastrofx617 wrote: "Overall, Dark Fantasy impresses musically, making music innovations in hip-hop by drawing on other music genres. I've never heard a hip-hop album sound like this before." You don't listen to much hip hop, do you?
    True. They're not the most played artists in my Last.Fm profile (http://www.last.fm/user/lusion01/). Kanye, Lupe and Saul Williams are my most played hip hop artists I think. I have gotten some stuff from the Golden Age (off the top of my head - A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim) and perhaps my review is a bit too high. I do think it's a solid 8 though. It shouldn't surprise me that my review would receive a negative response, although not to the extent that I anticipated. Fair call for anyone pointing out that this is 'Ultimate-Guitar'. Most of the stuff is guitar-oriented, most of the people here play guitar and like rock/metal, and that's why they've come to love this site. I really like this album, and I just wanted to share my thoughts. Plus, I want to make more contributions to UG, being a lurker and all. This review is one of the many ways I'm trying to give back to a site that has taught me a lot.
    jethro bob wrote: Fergie's vocal delivery is reminiscent of M.I.A. this is why i abandoned this place
    It's true though! Mind you, Fergie's nothing compared to M.I.A. I only said that she sounds like her, but I never claimed that she was better or anything like that. Anyway, music is music. I mean Michael Jackson had the child molestation controversy, but when (some) people listen to his music, they forget all that. Isn't that how we come to love our favourite artist/band, by getting to know them through their work? Why let someone's 'notorious' reputation affect your listening experience? I mean sure, his attitude could put you off like someone gossiping to you, but fair enough if you've actually listened to the album and you just don't like it.
    LightxGrenade
    I thought it was an ok album. I really liked the instrumental intro to "All of the Lights" and I thought that Chris Rock bit was pretty funny. "Blame Game"'s lyrics were too over the top for me. I do think there are some cool beats all over this album. And Nicky Minaj stole the spotlight in "Monster" from some of the best rappers in the business. I gave it a 6 because it was good but I think there's better stuff out there that came out around the same time like Drake's "Young Sweet Jones" mix tape, and Fabolous' mix tape
    BUBBAHENDRIX
    thank god i have tons of 60's 70's 80's music so i don't have to listen to turntables samples downtuned crap and screaming sos stuff out now
    Michael Stewart
    BeerBlood wrote: I gave it one star just to piss everyone off.
    I gave it one star just because this truly sucks.
    travislausch
    krvolok wrote: Pagan_Poetry wrote: Only on UG would you find a mainstream rap album that has broken boundaries with a "3.6" user score. Oh right, doesn't have guitar lol... Thats the problem,you have abut 500.000 sites for hip hop,rap and the rest of the genres that do now have guitars.And then you have site called ultimate-GUITAR where those genres that utilize guitars.
    Though in the review, it's mentioned that guitar is used, albeit briefly. lrn2read Anyways, I've only had the chance to hear "Power" (mostly to pick out the Crimson sample) and "Runaway", and both were pretty top notch tracks. Not what I expected from a post-2000 rap album.
    strat07
    hugh20 wrote: It's a pretty awesome album. Definitely a very late contender for best album of 2010. The lyrics, musical ideas, and rapping are great. The production is excellent, but the singing (by Kanye) leave much to be desired. The other vocalists are great choices, apart from Chris Rock, imo. Nicki Mina shines on Monster. I wonder how many people have given this a 1 star rating without listening to it?
    Most of the rating +1 from me
    Amuro Jay
    Kenjisan231 wrote: lulz at my comment getting deleted, even though it contained no derogatory remarks, but someone didn't agree with
    For the record, it wasn't me. I agree with a lot of what you say (mostly), but I still think that this is his second best record yet (nothing tops his debut).
    FakeTalesOfSan
    If you don't like it, don't comment saying how br00tal you are or what not. I can completely see where you are coming from, Kanye's persona is not really a likeable one. However...this album really isn't bad. He is a great producer who isn't putting out generic radio fillers on this album. I don't even even listen to rap, most of what I listen to is indie but i do appreciate this album, mainly because I'VE ACTUALLY LISTENED TO IT. How about you try doing that before insulting it? http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/1488... l-dark-twisted-fantasy/
    §ynysterSte
    Pagan_Poetry
    hugh20 wrote: Pagan_Poetry wrote: Wow. already so much ignorance on here. Only on UG would you find a mainstream rap album that has broken boundaries with a "3.6" user score. Oh right, doesn't have guitar lol. Mind you, anything that isn't either death metal or indie would score horrendously on here. This album is the spark of a new style of rap. One that combines hip hop and pop, hip hop and blues, hip hop and theatrical scores, and so much more. This album may not be the best lyrically, but its overall intentions on showing the world the downfalls of ones successes whilst being blind with fame are extremely ambitious, and far more worked on than 95% of the complete trash on the radio. I'm a huge fan of old school hip hop and old rap. Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Dr. Dre and NWA, old Eminem, Nas, Biggie, etc. This is the best hip hop album I have heard in years when we are being tossed garbage from a distance like Flo Rida and Soulja Boi. In fact, I'll stop explaining. It's obvious that it won't change anyones narrow mindness anymore. I can understand if people just genuinely don't like it, and from a few comments I can tell some just don't, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there is also a sh!tload of ignorance and conforming to what's "cool". Kanye-Swift jokes are old. Very old. It's just a shame that once a hip hop album appears on UG, and one that could be the best we'll see for a very long time, it's an instant act of blasphemy for the poor metal heads and classic rockers. I wish I could :five: you. Also, to this being on UG, it's got some guitar, most noticeably in Gorgeous. And this is legitimate music, and might encourage people to check it out and love/hate it or something inbetween. Bad idea to put it on the front page, but some people just need to grow up before they base their opinion of an album on how the artist is in real life.
    *high five* I guess that's the closest we'll get. =P
    vanklef92
    ynysterSte wrote: Yo guys, ima let you finish but Taylor Swift had the best album of all time, OF ALL TIME. PEACE
    [quote]ynysterSte wrote: +1 hahaha then he says IMA LET MAIDEN HAVE NUMBER ONE GUYS BUT WE ALL KNOW I MADE THE BEST METAL SONG!