Sound Awake review by Karnivool

• Released: Jun 5, 2009
Karnivool: Sound Awake

The sound of this album is very unique. Karnivool has managed to abandon normal song structure in a pleasing way. Time signatures change frequently in a prog-rock manner, yet nothing seems forced. The guitars and bass provide an interesting soundscape. Often, they are topped with odd instruments like didgeridoos and xylophones. Although these facts are true, the drummer Steve Judd gives the most stand-out performance. The beats he produced are heavy and cut right through the mix. They are complex, but don't expel the emotion from the instrument. So if the album's sound had to be summed up in a word, it would simply be "amazing."

There's no controversy to the idea that the heart and soul of Karnivool is the singer, Ian Kenny. He is one of the greatest vocalists in modern rock, and this is exploited in the third track, "New Day." The guitars produce a relatively easy progression, and Kenny's voice rises and drops impressively. Even over the heaviest of riffs, his falsetto is heard clearly and amazes. It still would mean little without the lyrics, which are effective as well. They work with the music and set a tone of emotion that appears in every song.

Karnivool has gone and produced an eleven-part masterpiece. From the beginning of Simple Boy to the end of Change(Part II), the listener will bask in awe. In my opinion, there are no weak songs. It has a replay value that I haven't experience with any other album. You can find new aspects in every listen, but can still tremendously enjoy the things you remember. Now if I had to select the best song, it would be Change(Part II). It is an eleven minute epic that was previewed in their previous work, Themata. However, if you only listened to Change(Part I), you will be in for a surprise when first experiencing Part II. It takes a new direction but does in outstandingly. In fact, I would say it sums up the entire album.