Sound Awake review by Karnivool

• Released: Jun 5, 2009
Karnivool: Sound Awake

Karnivool are one of the three great Australian alternative rock/metal bands, and are building in popularity. Their latest effort is no doubt a solid, and talent filled record. For fans of Themata, the first album, Sound Awake may take some listening, their sound has progressed, becoming more technical (arguably), and with a little less energy. This however is no bad thing, its just different. The sound is still incredible, with each song sounding like its been thought through for a long time (although perhaps too much).

The lyrics on the album build on a lot of themes, nothing particularly special. Special though, is definately a word to use when describing the delivery of the vocals. Ian Kenny is superb, and one of the finest singers in alternative metal. Particularly good tracks on his part are New Day and The Medicine Wears Off, but on all the tracks he fits his vocals with the music very well, creating catchy choruses in songs like The Caudal Lure and All I Know. The rest of the band (not fair to just review the singer!) do very well on this album and clearly have a great deal of talent to share.

As I mentioned, avid fans of Themata will no doubt need to be patient with this album, as I have been, and although they are both excellent, they are different, so a future album will certainly cause some interest. Simple Boy, Set fire to the hive (nice bee swarm riff!) All I Know and The Caudal Lure are my personal favourites and probably the most popular and catchy songs most similar to the songs from Themata. There is no doubt any fan of alternative, progressive music will at least like this album, I would recomend it to you all.

buttonmastah
    I greatly prefer this album to Themata. Sure, Themata is great, but Sound Awake blew me away. With Themata, I was sitting in my room, listening to some bomb-ass music. With this, I was swept across the universe, floating through the infinite vastness of space. I was on a journey, each song took me to a new planet with new adventures, and when Change came on, I was taken to the center of the universe, seeing it not as a collection of billions upon billions of stars and planets, but as a massive picture with many different elements that could be beautiful on their own, but worked together to become something greater.
    disturbingchord
    Sound awake is truely amazing ! I've just covered Deadman solo for my own pleasure, and maybe yours. Here it is !
    phantom_lord586
    now all they have to do on their next cd is combine the heavyness of the first album with the epic songs from this album and they'll have something truly awesome that you can bang your head to and mosh.
    edgeyyz
    Vinushka wrote: Third album, you're forgetting Persona.
    I think Persona is considered an EP, along with their "Karnivool EP." This album is absolutely phenomenal, I'm so glad I looked into this band. They're now undesputably one of my favorites.
    AaronIsCrunchy
    Looking forward to the new album when it eventually comes. Weirdly, Umbra's one of my favourites on the whole album, but I seem to be one of the minority that thinks that.