Kasabian review by Kasabian

• Released: Sep 6, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Kasabian: Kasabian

I think we've all had enough time to get an idea of what the "Kasabian" sound is after having four singles released before the album. You can expect psychedelic and catchy lyrics and beats with leading bass lines, a strong injection of dance and the odd electronic murmur. It's amazing what you can do with a broken computer, a keyboard and recording equipment. This album was produced in a tiny room which after drug related activities can surprisingly produce an unexpected outcome as we can see (or hear). The first song on the album is Club Foot, a strong fan favourite. It's fuzzy bass make for a complete song! LSF is a song to riot to. It provides a crowd unifying chorus which you can't help but bellow out at top voice. Funk influenced song Processed beats is set for re-release and is definitely an album highlight, another with a leading bass line. I think ID is a wrecking ball of a song. It starts with soothing electronic beats and scratches. I can just picture myself listening to it in my lounge and when the song kicks in my house crashing down under the weight of the truly colossal bass beats that make you glad to be blessed with ears. Running Battle is better than average, the lyrics are sadly flailing, and the other notable song would be Ovary Stripe. An electronic/dance song with no lyrics and backing keyboards; not to be underestimated!

Lyrics about drugs, riots, and rebellion make this an album for any frustrated teenager; however the standard and variation of lyrics can also let them down too often. Not renowned for lyrical genius it was a good move to let the music do most of the talking. What are interesting though are the strung together words that make up LSF. Such lines as 'The troops are on fire, messiah for the animals' create connotations of zoo warfare!

What was most delightful about this album is how they've tried to refresh some of the singles, it would have been easy to just chuck them in untouched but they have introduced mid way breaks, intros and outros to drool over. It's clear to see that Primal Screams XTMNTR is a huge inspiration for this album, and it leaves me thinking could it be too similar? Club Foot sounding like Kill All Hippies and Reason Is Treason following the same song structure as Swastika Eyes. None the less this is a very promising debut album, and as they say, it is what the British music scene was begging for after too many Indie bands like Keane and Franz Ferdinand etc. Most disappointing is the 'non-singles' of the album. If they had released this album after Reason is treason then it would be a different outcome, but as people needed LSF and Club Foot to give them a nudge we have grown a bit bored of the singles. Such songs as Test transmission, Butchered blues and U boat all act like ugly goose's and bring the album down. For the overall mark I'd say it was between an 3 and a 4.