Kasabian review by Kasabian

• Released: Sep 6, 2004
Kasabian: Kasabian

Apparantly named after Charles Manson's getaway driver, Kasabian's hit single, "Club Foot" caught my ear when it was featured in a car commercial. Months later, I heard the undeniably catchy "Reason Is Treason", and I decided that I should get this album. They are certainly not what I expected them to be. Kasabian are very strange and psychedelic, while also incredibly catchyand they certainly don't lose track of their songs and have them end up in a giant mess like so many psychedelic bands do. With many almost Middle Eastern techniques and backwards guitars, they sometimes sound like some of George Harrison's better songs.

I haven't yet had a chance to really listen to the lyrics on this album, but from what I've heard, they are witty, well-written, and a little trippy as well. The singer has an outstanding voice for this kind of music: pretty deep, and with a British accent complimenting his raspy singing. From what I can tell, the lyrics aren't outstanding, but they are more than acceptable.

While they may be compared to bands like the Strokes or the White Stripes to the untrained ear, Kasabian is nothing like those bands; they ARE somewhat pop like, but with prominent psychadelic undertones. My favorites are "Processed Beats," "L.S.F," "Cutt Off," "Test Transmission," and "Running Battle." This is truly a standout album, and Kasabian deserve to be much bigger than they are right now.

break-me-in
    Did anyone notice how 'Shoot the runner' sounds suspiciously similar to 'Black Night' by Deep Purple?