West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum review by Kasabian

• Released: Jun 5, 2009
Kasabian: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

The sound of this album is very unique, it tends to go one way or the other. Most of the songs on the album can be thrown into a category not far from that of Oasis. West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum is quite original in its arrangement, but very principal in its sound. The Underdog kicks the album off and begins with a very interesting bass humm soon accompanied by a very dirty but clean guitar. The vocals soon lead in with a wonderful Noel Gallagher-ish sound put through a filter. The whole album has a similar sound very well engineered but never monotonous. There are a few electronic vibes throughout the album that sound a bit radioheady but never steer away from the indie-rock sound.

The lyrics are fairly satisfactory, they are never awkward or dull but never really speak to you either. In "Fire" Tom Meighan screams "I'm on fire!" very basic in the sense of lyricism but never a dull moment or unnecessary use of words. I cannot say what exactly is being said in some songs but if I had to guess I would assume that the lyrics (by Sergio Pizzorno mainly) are concerned with the life of rock & roll and being in a band and just dealing with fame and women, all fine accoutrements that follow. I really like the lyrics in the songs (Ladies And Gentlement "Just give me that dice") and just love Tom's powerful voice.

This, I believe, is Kasabian's finest album. I love this album because of its originality within a genre of imitation. The first half of the album sounds like Oasis put in a filter and mixed by Glyn Johns; while the second half sounds like The beatles if George were to have switched places with Paul. The Album is nearly flawless, with an exception of the lyrics and occasional electronic interruption. The songs are brilliantly written and the song setup is wonderful: 01.The Underdog: 10/10 great song perfect intro 02.Where Did All The Love Go?: 9/10 good song, a little bit repeatitive toward the end but nonetheless wonderful tune, very Oasis-esque 03.Swarfiga: 7/10 not a fan of instrumentals but it fits and is very much necessary i feel. The album would not be the same if this were not present 04.Fast Fuse: 9/10 great song. Nothing bad to say, just not perfect 05.Take Aim: 11/10 absolutely outstanding song. Perfect mixture of sounds for a perfect English song 06.Thick As Thieves: 9/10 very Beatles-esque Tom's voice sounds like Lennon on this one. 07.West Ryder Silver Bullet: 9/10 very cool song. A bit eerie in the begining and continues throughout which is entertaining. The breakdown is haunting to me during the "Aaahs" 08.Vlad The Impaler: 6/10 weakest song on the album for me which is a suprise because it was a single. It feels too familiar to me 09.Ladies And Gentlemen (Roll The Dice): 9/10 starts a bit slow but picks up and rolls into something wonderful that speaks to me. 10.Secret Alphabets: 12/10 words cannot explain this song. It gives me chills everytime I hear it because I feel John Lennon in the voice of Tom Meighan. 11.Fire: 11/10 starts slow but grows into a powerhouse of a song. One of my favorites on the album. 12.Happiness: 10/10 lovely song. George Harrison is Resurrected! Beautiful way to end the album, almost brings tears to my eyes.

Guitar93!
    at least Britain ARE NOT coming up with bands such as fall out boy and metro station who are qiute frankly killing the music.
    Laurenx
    On the first two albums I can only listen to a few songs (Shoot The Runner, Club Foot, Empire, etc) but on this one I can listen to every track and love it. And in concert, Kasabian opening with Underdog gave me chills, it was amazing.