No Balance review by Kashmir

• Released: Feb 16, 2010
Kashmir: No Balance

Kurt Cobain meets Tom Petty and David Bowie. This EP features songs off the No Balance Palace album, and by far is worth buying this. There are two main mixes of genres, and those happen to be the more industrial/experimental rock in three songs, while the other three songs feature the good old rock the band usually produces. Overall, the songs are mellow, soothing, and eerie all at the same time. The sound of the album is very well produced, with great mixes, and perfect tones for the album. The distortion is never too high, never too weak, perfectly set. The EP starts out with Kalifornia, which has the experimental beginning, then transforms into one of the more mellow songs, with a good change of chords during the chorus, and a brilliant outro, starting off the album well. The Cynic is up next with that nice experimental feel, grungy and psychedelic at the same time. Ophelia is the ballad, beautifully orchestrated, perfectly played, and perfectly mellow. The Curse Of Being A Girl is a mixture of the two genres, with mellow vocals and fuzzily distorted guitars, good melody but in my opinion the weaker song on the album. She's Made Of Chalk really brings out the Tom Petty feel, with the fast upbeat drums and the slow chords being played on the guitars. The overall song sounds like Kurt Cobain and The Heartbreakers, respectively. Ether is another one of the experimental songs, with simple melodies and a slow drum beat.

The vocals are effectively used in every song, and are perfectly executed. Kasper Eistrup really have a beautiful voice, and he demonstrates this on every song, whether the low vocals of Kalifornia, or the higher vocals of The Cynic. The lyrics again have to do with mainly with death and the fall of civilization. Death and suicide is portrayed in the song She's Made Of Chalk, with the title slightly referring to the chalk outlined around dead bodies. Kalifornia is simply portraying that humans, especially civilization, is too restless, and we are burning ourselves out. This album has it all, perfect uses of lyrics, great vocals.

This has to be the reason I now am listening to this Danish band by the name of Kashmir. They are a perfect mix of rock and psychedelic music. This band is a perfect fit for any fan of rock music, or any fan of music. I recommend you go above and beyond this EP and get the actual album, No Balance Palace, or any other one of their albums. Everyone needs to give this band a listen!

BrixDK
    It's a shame that the rest of world get's this, 4 years delayed... And then only a shortened of the actual album. These guys are ****ing amazing, and their new album is great aswell. The only reason they are'nt well known all over the world is because danish record companies don't have any ambition what so ever...
    Simto
    EpiExplorer
    TDuck
    Failing to mention David Bowie is appearing on The Cynic and Lou Reed reciting a poem (Black Building on the LP) is a shame. You really can't help but dig this cd.
    Simto
    EpiExplorer
    Simto wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Simto wrote: I'm not a big Kashmir fan, but i can definitely see why a lot of people dig them. And i can only agree with you BrixDK (asuming your a fellow Dane ) the danish music industry is something of a joke. Wouldnt be too hard on them.. danish have Mercenary, and they're as popular as Amorphis. And Lars Ulrich. But then again, it IS Lars Ulrich.. And Kashmir are catchy stuff 8D Yeah i see what you mean, it always comes off kinda strange when i generalize as much as i did in my post. We have some great bands, but... it's very hard to make a living from playing music, i have great respect for the bands who can do it, i hope to do it myself, but Denmark is such a small country you have to go to another country and play. (Kashmir "The story of Jamie Fame Flame" is a kick ass song!)
    I think Denmarks stamping itself on the world. On an unguitary note, they have just made the worlds fastest road car.. or something like that.
    Senor Kristian
    If anyone wants to take the reviewers advice and get Kashmir albums, I'd suggest Zitilites. Probably their most experimental/interesting piece
    Slashrulz
    I bought Zitilites like 4 or 5 years ago, and I loved them, but never found anything by them on my local music store, I thought they had split, nice to see they are still working. I love Rocket Brothers and Melpomene.
    ScorianVaseras
    I'm a fan of music.. but how does this relate to my love for Deeds of Flesh? It does not. This review seems way too one-sided, but I'm going to check this band out anyway.