Last Fair Deal Gone Down review by Katatonia

• Released: May 8, 2001
Katatonia: Last Fair Deal Gone Down

It is a craziest thing to change the extreme brutal black death doom metal sound for a most quiet sound like alternative rock, but still sound amazing, well, Katatonia do it that (good, but I miss the collaboration with Mikael Akerfeldt in "Brave Murder Day"), and so, I couldn't believe that Jonas Renkse had an amazing and beautiful acute voice behind that terrifying screamings of "Dance of December Souls." But don't forgive the instrumental parts, the principal sound of this album, I don't focus on the guitars, battery and bass, but in the production, which is one of the best produced albums than I've ever heard, and this is for 15 years ago, I love how are produced the amazing guitar riffs, the electronic parts ("We Must Bury You"), the bass and specially the battery, is really difficult to understand that Katatonia didn't sell out with this album, because sound like commercial, and so, is difficult so, because no one video have released for this album, and no one single also, every song on this album deserves this, but is sad to view. In this album Katatonia loses everything related to doom, death and black metal what they have lose a few years ago with "Discouraged Ones," but they sound more quiet and have more beautiful passages in "Last Fair Deal Gone Down," adapted to alternative and gothic rock influences, in definitely, they changed definitely the sound, but in the best way ever, and no one does that.

Man, I never found a band what I've been identified with them lyrics, to the day which I found Katatonia, the amazingly gothic lyrics have been identified with so many adolescents that have a lot of problems, fear and distrust with themselves, the darkness that them live inside, and deserves to get better every day and lose every thing of these things that ruins our life, do you wanna example? I've put much of them of this album, but I've get really surprised and identified with the verse of "The Future of Speech," so, read this:

"I have no lies of truth in what I say
There's no meaning

The words are so numb and I am so afraid
There's no meaning"

Much examples are more on this album, but specially I leave the verse of "The Future of Speech" like a example, just to watch how great are the lyrics of this band, combined with the beautiful voice of Jonas Renkse, I've been short of words. Katatonia are genius.

You've gonna be identified with the lyrics of this album, of the band so to, but not only this album is my favorite because of the lyrics, the production is amazing, like I've commented of Sound Section, have a greatest sound like any other gothic rock 2000's bands, I love "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" because it is the first Katatonia album that I've listened and also I've searched for a long time a gothic rock 2000's band that sound amazing, and I've founded here, well, they are from '90s but that time are passed, they was another band. The most impressive songs of this album are "Chrome," "Teargas," "Transpire" and "The Future of Speech," no more words, one of the best alternative rock albums of the past decade, I recommend this to every fan of alternative and gothic music, is a must-have on your list.