Night Is The New Day review by Katatonia

• Released: Nov 2, 2009
Katatonia: Night Is The New Day

Katatonia's new album "Night is the New Day" is an album to be reckoned with. Upon my first listen of the album I was amazed at how dark and yet how absolutely beautiful it was! The sound in general is just massive! The guitar tones, the bass, the drums and keyboards all were out of this world. Despite all of these excellent elements, the thing that stood out the most to me were the vocals. If I could choose only one vocalist to record with me it would be Jonas Renkse of Katatonia. From start to finish he delivers time and time again. The opening of the album, a track entitled "Forsaker," really grabs you and pulls you right into the mood of the record. The styles displayed on this disc are very much in the same vein of the older albums. This time however, Katatonia really pulled from the "Damnation" side of the Opeth style. There were parts in some of the songs that I could have sworn Mikael kerfeldt was doing the vocals.

The overall tone of the lyrics if one of hopelessness, and despair. They really go hand in hand with the music itself. The opening track "Forsaker" gives us the chorus - "the dark will arrive, abandon your freedom." Very dark words, with a sad melody makes for an awesome chorus! Jonas Renske delivers a outright stunning performance on this record. His display of skill will be forever remembered by myself and everyone that I show this album to.

The closest comparison I could make to the overall goodness that is Katatonia's "Night is the New Day" would have to be Opeth's "Damnation." They are very similar in mood, and sound. The only difference in Katatonia's latest effort is the use of heavy guitars instead of all mellow instruments. For me the songs that stood out the most on this offering were "Forsaker", "Onward Into Battle", "Liberation", "The Promise of Deciet", "Day and Then the Shade", and "Departer". I absolutely adore this album. It is the perfect album for a rainy day. I love the fact that when I put it in, I am immediately transported to another place. Perhaps a bleak forest in Sweden, with the rain striking my face. The only thing that I could find wrong with this album is that there aren't more songs to listen to. It is an album that I would immediately replace if it were lost or stolen, but that will never happen because it will always be at my side. Awaiting to be put in the CD player. Go out and buy this album, you won't regret it. I know I didn't.

deadmansharvest
    Whoever said this was emo needs to be shot. This album is freakin amazing! The epitome of being swallowed by despair. The difference between emo and Katatonia is: emo sucks ass, and Katatonia kicks ass!!!
    julianvhansen1
    The Longest Year is about the ultimate song of Katatonias career, the pompous chorus to its soothing counterpart "the verse" The verse especially, makes me relate to the longing after simple things, after im struggling with severe mental illness. Very settled, sound rather simple, but its very complicated bc of the very clear sad emotion they create, and then the wall of sound bridge part is just mezmerising aswell. I think Viva Emptiness was their best, with that style, and with their new sound, which i think NITND introduced us to, this is actually the best of them.
    NuclearPanda
    I would say Katatonia is "emo" for emo is just depressive isn't it? Correct me if i'm wrong. And Katatonia is the most depressive band i have ever heard. I really dig Katatonia, but mostly their first stuff, it's god damn heavy and really deep. I'm not a great fan of Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance, i think they are lame. But i heard some of the new, and it's great.
    BeefWellington
    GREENWARRI0R : only memorable song is Forsaker. I forgot the rest after the end of the album.
    Listen to it again. It's not instantly memorable stuff, but it's very good. Being memorable it doesn't mean it's good. It's definitely not something you'd just stick on and have playing in the background, this is stuff you actually sit down, listen to and appreciate.