MTV Unplugged review by Katy Perry

• Released: Nov 17, 2009
Katy Perry: MTV Unplugged

Katy Perry, a veritable princess of pop, has a new, cool release for audiences. The MTV Unplugged session that she taped on July 22, 2009 has been compiled into a CD/DVD set and released by Capitol Records. The album features a handful of her pop singles like I Kissed A Girl, Ur So Gay, Thinking Of You, Lost, and Waking Up In Vegas accompanied by acoustic stylized arrangements, plus the Fountains Of Wayne track Hackensack and Perry's never before released original tune Brick By Brick. The album gives audiences a new appreciation for Perry's vocal skills and talent to sing for acoustic elements, classic piano, orchestral strings, jazz horns, and country western flanged repertoires. The jazzy horns on Ur So Gay give the track a fresh, attractive sound, and the orchestral strings whirling sensually across Thinking Of You act as a floatation device for Perry's wrenching vocals. The country western flange in the guitar chord patterns for Waking Up In Vegas accentuate Perry's vocal punches, while the sparse guitar and vocal arrangement on Brick By Brick provide a gentle springboard for Perry's long vocal lines and the sowing of incremental lifts in her vocal rises. The set shines light on Perry's ability to adapt well to an acoustic set and still be able to keep the songs sounding just as catchy as they do in their original version.

Perry's lyrics delve into exploring the emotional and physical aspects of having human urges from the provocative impulses of I Kissed A Girl to the tender versing of Thinking Of You. Whether she is being cheeky with I kissed a girl just to try it / I hope my boyfriend don't mind it / It felt so wrong, it felt so right / It don't mean I'm in love tonight It ain't no big deal, it's innocent or sensitive with When I'm with him I am thinking of you I wished that I was looking into your eyes, Perry displays a genuine curiosity for human behavior and an attraction to the unconventional. She explores human temptation and heartaches with obvious lust and sensitivity in her lyrics.

Perry shows flexibility in her singing being able to be as sensitive as Missy Higgins and as strong-willed and on guard as Evanescence's Amy Lee. Speaking about being multi-flavored, Perry demonstrates a burlesque quality in her vocal style one minute and the ethereal touch of an angel the next. The CD/DVD set will give audiences a new appreciation for this pop princess whose interview footage on the DVD portion of the compilation provides insight into what being a pop star means to her. The set is a must for Perry's fans and has the potential of catapulting Perry into the realm of iconic status. Check out clips of Kay Perry at MTV.com and www.palladia.tv.

strat0blaster
    nailsarecruel
    jethro bob wrote: im just shocked that mtv still does unplugged...or anything with music anymore
    Maybe it's out of respect for the autotune artists that make up the majority of videos, cause they don't advertise these things anymore. I saw an Adele unplugged session on their AMTV block about a month ago. Wouldn't mind to see the entire thing.
    Sound Mind
    joshmckinnon seems like an idiot. have you ever listened to rap of hip-hop? you don't think that any of it has instruments? geez
    huevos
    strat0blaster wrote: Enough with hating on her. I don't like her music - at all. That said, however, I've heard her belt it out. She's got a hell of a voice when she uses it, but just because she does boring pop doesn't mean she has no talent. If you're going to bash, bash her music, not her ability. Skill is skill, and if you can't respect skill for skill's sake, you're ignorant.
    Very troo. She's a slight notch above being just another pretty face, but I don't find to be all that entertaining. That doesn't mean she's absolutely awful, it just means I don't like the music. The reviewer should've known this was gunna catch a lot of hell. They might just be doing it for the lulz.
    YRIDEHD
    Collins played drums all the time with Genesis. Not to put to fine a point on it but I don't think he should be included in your comparison with Katy Pary. I'm not sure how much Phil or Eddie lip synced or used pro-tune software either.
    pwninator123
    shwilly wrote: Chris Cornell has actually made up some brilliant arrangements on guitar, especially during the latter days of Soundgarden (he was especially creative with alternate tunings, just listen to "Head Down" or "Like Suicide")
    I meant live, same to the guy who defended Vedder and Collins, they were generally singers live, just picking up the instruments when they needed too.
    shwilly
    tele-rat wrote: and JOSH, how do you figure guys like Hendrix, Richards and Young have all been forgotten, SERIOUSLY? Just what forgotten corner of the world do you live in dude?
    His profile says Canada, lol No but really, I'd rather have my kids growing up to Lady Gaga or Katy Perry than the Backstreet Boys or Milli Vanilli: musically they're not my cup of tea but they're great examples of what you can achieve with some talent and the will to achieve your goals no matter what (and a lot of luck I guess, especially on the good looking part )
    voodoochild23
    No one will ever forget Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King, SRV, but what are we supposed to do? Ignore all the young musicians out there today and replay music from the 60s/70s on mtv? Its not unjust at all that people like lady gaga and katy perry are famous, they've released music that's worth listening to. Why does it matter what instruments they play? I don't even care if they wrote the songs themselves. If i want to listen to it, why should I care? The fact is that you're angry because you want to be famous, and knowing how to play an instrument is the only straight forward way you know to get there. You think Katy Perry didn't have to work at it the way you do, bla bla bla, well she can do something you can't do, and she was hardly born with that. Get over it man, she's providing the world with music they actually want, nothing else matters, that's pop music and that's how its always been.
    tele-rat
    yeah, Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell both play guitar and Phil Collins plays drums, guitar and probably even a few other instruments too. And, i admit i'm not a big fan of hip hop or rap music, but dude, seriously that stuff does in fact take some skill, maybe not like playing a Jimmy Page solo or something, it's just different dude. don't be so close-minded. and JOSH, how do you figure guys like Hendrix, Richards and Young have all been forgotten, SERIOUSLY? Just what forgotten corner of the world do you live in dude?
    Cornpuff
    -Even as far as radio pop/hip-hop/rap go, there are talented folk around. Pop: GaGa (lyrics/image aside, the music is at the very least catchy and well produced). Hip-hop: Lupe Fiasco. Rap: Jay-Z (shit, his single "Run This Town" features Jay with Kanye West and Rihanna; they're a veterible power trio). -GaGa plays piano. Any hip-hop/rap producer who's actually good knows how much work goes into a track. Rap, when fluid and lyrical, is a talent in itself. -Hendrix, Richards, and Young are all instantly recognized in most circles (albiet you might have to say "Rolling Stones" or "AC/DC" to get it to register at some points).
    jethro bob
    im just shocked that mtv still does unplugged...or anything with music anymore
    FlyingPirahna
    pwninator123 wrote: joshmckinnon wrote: i agree. Why should we worship people with no talent? I am biased against all Hip Hop, Pop and Rap music in general because i think you should do something that requires skill like play a real istrument (notice my wording, im not "ALL NON GUITARISTS MUST BE CRUSHED!!!!!" but i really think you should do something more worthwhile like play sax, guitar, drums or even the digeridoo.) its unjust that people like her, lady gaga and others can get that famous that fast with no talent and the western world has all but forgotten of greats like Hendrix, Keith Richards or Angus Young, atleast in modern pop music. But whatever, just my (detailed) opinion Well there are also a lot of famous, exceedingly talented singers who don't play the instruments, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell
    Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell both play guitar.
    pwninator123
    Well there are also a lot of famous, exceedingly talented singers who don't play the instruments, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Phil Collins, Freddie Mercury (sans the occasional piano), Peter Buck, but then again, Katy Perry does play the guitar, and she can play the other instruments, just don't expect her to live, of course. And vocal talent is no question, Katy and Gaga can sing wonderfully live, and entertain the audience at the same time. Keep in mind, I'm not a big fan, just defending where defense is due and deserved. And I can't name a single person I know who doesn't know, offhand, at least 5 songs by or with Hendrix, Richards, or Young
    joshmckinnon
    X DogBert X
    im not a fan of her. but she is a talented girl and she has a great voice. ...i would also have sexual intercourse with her too.
    blueboxdoctor
    eh, i used to like her music, but then lady gaga came along and well yeah, lady gaga's better. still, katy perry's not bad either, just not as good, especially when gaga does her music on piano.
    pwninator123
    She's actually a pretty good singer, and clever lyricist, quite a gem in today's stagnant Pop scene I am however very very proud of her covering Hackensack, it's a favorite of mine
    CrackTheSkye
    Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson (born October 25, 1984), better known by her stage name Katy Perry, is an American singer-songwriter and musician -Courtesy of google. Get your facts right UG
    nailsarecruel
    alkalineweeman wrote: Britains Katy Perry, a veritable princess of pop, has a new, cool release for audiences. Isn't Katy Perry American?
    She's American.
    alkalineweeman
    Isn't Katy Perry American?
    larrytheguitar
    Jesus_Dean wrote: She is cute... ...and that's all that she is.
    lol nah But seriously, I actually like Katy Perry and this release was much better.