Aava Tuulen Maa Review

8.7
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Aava Tuulen Maa Reviewed by: dante., on august 12, 2011

Sound: I used to be a Doom Metal lover. Once, I was checking some new bands and Kauan, for some (odd actually) reason, showed up. Since then, I started listening to it. I bought the album "Aava Tuulen Maa", expecting some brutal gutturals and 30 BPM drums, when I listened to it; I couldn't even believe I was listening to the most beautiful music in this whole world. "Ommeltu Polku" was the first one. Starting with a soft rain and some atmospheric natural sounds, in a blink of an eye it turned to a beautiful acoustic guitar and suddenly drums, bass and some other instruments softly beautiful. The beauty within Kauan's music can not be described: only heard. It's known as Ambient/Post Rock (although I'm not a huge fan of labeling music styles) but some older albums had influence of Doom Metal (Folk Black). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are write in Russian and in Finnish (Thanks for Google and a friend of mine who could translate some parts of those to English though), and it talks mostly about love, broken heart and nostalgia. It fits great with their melody, and Anton Belov (who sings and play the instruments and program the drums) has a very beautiful voice, which makes the music much more enjoyable. // 10

Overall Impression: Kauan is a different kind of music. It has a unique atmosphere, and in fact, it sounds great. If you have a moment give it a try and you'll see my point; Anyway I think it has the popularity it deserves though. A good album, but nothing extraordinary. // 7

Comments