Hopes And Fears Review

Keane: Hopes And Fears
Release Date: May 25, 2004
Label: Interscope
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop
At its best, Hopes And Fears is reminiscent of Bends-era Radiohead, and singer Tom Chaplin's voice is closer to Thom Yorke's falsetto than Chris Martin's cracked whine.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 8.7
Hopes And Fears Reviewed by: FRANCIS777, on july 04, 2006

Sound: When I heard the single everybody's changing of Keane, I'm attracted to their sound, with special effects on the intro. And I wanted to learn and play piano or keyboard too. But what's amazing is there where only two instrumentalist with singer tom chaplin; tim rice-oxley hands on piano; key board, bass; hughes on drums. But I tell you when you heard their album Hopes And Fears. Their music is complete lacking nothing. their sound sends you to deeper emotion's of love. Like courting a girl to say yes and the reminicing passing moments that capture by heart. // 9

Lyrics: Their lyrics should be looked with an open mind, for their message is not directly pointed to what they are. Like in everybody's changing. "Says everybody's changing and I don't know why; because everybody's changing and I don't feel the same; because everybody's changing and I don't feel right. The change their talking about is the change of feeling of love. Says everybody's changing the love they feel about you, but me, I don't feel the same. And from the start of the song it says the story. The package was good for lyrics and black and white pictures of Keane shows plus a 5 bonus tracks. I've voted 8 for singer skills for the voice gives natural emotions. // 8

Overall Impression: I've let my friends hear the album and they where amazed. They said this is music they want to hear. This is the album I will store from my closet for safe keeping, like no one should use it but only me. Because it may not use properly, maybe lost or broken. My rate is buy it for the good music it could offer. // 9

Hopes And Fears Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on february 26, 2007

Sound: Keane's debut album sure impressed a lot of people. With their slow pop/rock or even britpop songs they definately are unique and it was something new at the time. They produce calm, meaningful songs. Who would've thought you could get to number one in the charts without a guitar in the band, lol. They make up for that still producing soothing music that anyone would listen to if they were feeling tired. Really, whatever mood Keane would contribute to getting you in the right mood, (but by the way they make you want to have a nap most of the time you listen to them). Everything goes in harmony. The keyboard and pianos are effective but I think the drummer is average I have to say. He just seems as though he's playing the same rythems in each song. But at least it's a good beat in every song. There insn't a band that sounds like them at all cause' they are very diffrent and nice pop styles. All the songs run smoothly and a good pace and sound cool played live. The song 'Bad Dream' from their second album is like all the songs on their first. Any of these songs could be turned into singles. But there is brilliant variety between each of the songs. By the way I think Keane have some good videos like 'Everybody's Changing' is one of them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent and also the singing sums up Tom (vocals) as a great British singer-songwriter. They seem to talk about people's destinys and choices. It's good with them asking questions in a few of their songs like "What do you know, what do you know?" in 'Bedshaped' probably the best song on the album. Tom sings some high notes and has such a confident vocal talent. His voice fits in perfectly in with the music. He's a good songwriter, a nice guy and like in some interveiws him and the rest of the band are real nice guys, only three in the band infact which quite amazing considering their standard of music producing. It's soothing and interesting when after the intro Tom comes in and has good compliance with the piano. When he's singing he's not playing an instrument so he's paying his full attention to the vocals so when that happens in bands it's interesting to see what the singers do, there actions and moves. He doesn't have a heavy voice, it's just right for the genre. // 9

Overall Impression: Most of the songs have little morals in themselves. I can imagine everyone singing along to a lot of these tracks on here. Their second album isn't as good as this but it still has that slow claming sound that fans of Keane love. The most impressive songs on the album are: ' Somewhere Only We Know', 'Bend and Break', 'Everybody's Changing', She Has No Time', and finally 'Bedshaped'. Well not actually finally because every song is the best ever! I love the slow, steady pace that they produce, the lyrics, all the chorus's, the techno computerized sounds, song names and everything else! What is there not to like about Keane. They'd probably sound worse with guitars because at the moment their style suits them. If this were lost I would buy it again absolutely (if I have the money), but I might either get something new or some thing with a guitar in it! unlike Keane. The make up for not having guitars or basses still making high-standard pop songs. A nice name: Hopes And Fears, the albums's all about that. // 10

Comments