Defying Gravity Review

7.7
 7.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Defying Gravity Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2009

Sound: The most famous Australian Country singer in the world is back, with 11 new songs that pack in his love for Nicole Kidman and love for the guitar. Defying Gravity is his 1st album since Greatest Hits I, 19 Kids. Usually if an artist makes it to Greatest Hits, what comes after is a new chapter of their career, and this is no different. He just got married, so instead of singing about heartbreaks he sings about Nicole Kidman. The album is centered around her, which lacks variety, but he still brings out his guitar playing skills in songs like Hit the Ground Running, Sweet Thing, Kiss A Girl, and other songs on the album. His sound is the same as always, with more love ballads on the song than anything, and the same type of songs as ever. In that way I didn't like it. I think newer, fresher songs are needed to keep him in the spotlight for a longer time. Still, he's going through the settling down part of most artists career early, right at his peak. The sound still works though. It's the same Keith Urban as he's always had, just mellower, more heart loving than heart breaking, like we've come to expect from him. // 6

Lyrics: 8 out of 11 of the tracks are co-wrote by Keith, which is, to me, a good sign. It's more artistic for singer's to write their own songs. The lyrics are relitively well thought through. The music goes well with the lyrics. Credit to Steve McEwan and John Reid who wrote Only You Can Love Me This Way, a ballad that stands out as original and well-written. Also Monty Powell who co-wrote Kiss A Girl, Sweet Thing, and Till' Summer Comes Around with Keith Urban. Each song is very well written. Keith Urban is an experienced song-writer, and it shows in this album. His guitar skills are also showcased. On one of my recent reviews, someone commented that country was just drinking, losing, fishing, and driving. If your reading this, I'd like to see ypu play one of this guy's songs, or Brad Paisley's. AND IM NOT TALKING 'BOUT A LOVE BALLAD! Country is more than drinking, losing, fishing, and driving. There's hunting, too! // 10

Overall Impression: I enjoyed this album, but expect more new material from Keith next time. Overall, it was decent, a 7. Compared to one of the other tops in country that just settled down, Brad Paisley, it is definetely beat. Brad Paisley has more variety and Keith Urban needs more in his next album. The album was still good, though. Keith Urban definetely ranks in my top 10 guitarists, and top 10 artists. But I think he'll have to keep a grip on his current poistion in the music industry next album, or else he'll sink as fast as Shania Twain. Good Luck! Sincerely, Guitarslinger // 7

Comments