Be As You Are review by Kenny Chesney

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Kenny Chesney: Be As You Are

Be As You Are is the tenth studio album by Kenny Chesney. It was released January 25, 2005, right after his When The Sun Goes Down album. It was just meant to be a side project for Chesney. He had only one single off of the album called "Old Blue Chair." In this album Chesney brings something different to the table as far as modern country music goes. This album is a beach music album more so than country. It is borderline Jimmy Buffett. The image that Chesney has projected through the years is basically a boy who loves to go to the beach and living the life of simplicity. "Be As You Are" completes that image. The best way to describe this album would be chill, calm, and relaxed.

The lyrics of the songs of "Be As You Are" are very chill-like and have many metaphors. I guess you could almost call it a concept album. It paints the perfect picture of somebody who has had too much of work and just wants to get away. So, he goes to the beach, kicks back and has some Cruzin rum. The lyrics and the music go almost perfectly together. Chesney's smooth voice is brilliant for this type of beach music.

Compared to most of Chesney's other albums, this one is the most relaxed. It is Kenny Chesney stripped down and raw. Although the album is considered country (because he is a country artist) it really has no ties. I really like the just relaxed, chill vibe that I get from it. If I had a bad day at work, I can just pop this into the radio and plunge into the music. I have to say the most impressive songs from the album are "Somethin' About The Rain", the title track "Be As You Are", and "Somewhere In The Sun". I guess just because these tracks are very intimate with the lyrics and the music. The only downside I see from this album is that some of the tracks can get very length and just keep going on, repeating choruses over and over. All things considered, it is a very good album.

Shazazmic
    Well this is different, I've never seen a country album review before on UG lol...
    dwdavedw
    yeh its such an unknown style of music but its really cool it has chesneys chilled out sort of stuff and big stadium stuff from guys like brad paisley
    fattypumbaa
    Nirvana6722
    Eternium
    Nirvana6722 wrote: fattypumbaa wrote: Chesney is not country. Non of that shit on CMT these days is country. Garth Brooks ****ing killed mainstream country. Calling this no talent ass clown country would be like calling Sum 41 or Blink 182 punk. haha are you serious? Kenny Chesney... no talent? He writes and co writes ALL of his songs and wrote most of the music for this album by himself. Chesney has more talent than all these other stupid screamo bands that know 3 chords and just scream to nothing... so please dude learn your facts and get a life.
    ANYONE can play and sound better than the crappy deathcore bands that are merely following the latest trend so that they can be so epic br00tal. *gags*
    guitaringnathan
    i used to like this kind of stuff till i found out what real country is. even though i mainly listen to rock, i do like country and this stuff is just pop-country. its stuff like this and rascall flats that i dislike bout country.
    KBCtimmay
    Nirvana6722
    KBCtimmay wrote: nirvana6722 and eternium need to stop jackin to kenny chesney's gay ass and stop being ignorant. if "screamo" and "deathcore" music is so easy why don't u start making some music and start going on tour after tour like they do. i used to hate this genre as well until i gave it a chance. fattypumbaa is exactly right, there used to be some cool ass country music and now the majority sucks. by the way this "trend" has been evolving since the late 60s. learn your facts.
    Can I just say that personal musical taste comes into play here. I never said that any kind of death core music sucks, I was just questioning the skill of the band in general. I personally have listened to alot of screamo/death metal/deathcore music and I just don't really like it. Its not my style of music. And yeah I agree with you that Country music has gone pop but again its all about musical preference.
    KBCtimmay
    i'll def agree music is preference. it was just kinda wrong to come out of left field w/ the comment about the 3 chords and screaming cuz making a statment like that is just false. i would love to see kenny attempt to play in that style, i guarantee he would be stumbling everywhere like he had just left a bar.