10 Days Out (Blues From The Backroads) review by Kenny Wayne Shepherd

• Released: Jan 23, 2007
Kenny Wayne Shepherd: 10 Days Out (Blues From The Backroads)

This CD/DVD Combo is well worth the $20 it's priced at. The music is relatively 65% acoustic but the blues that they bring light to is exactly that. There are still a decent amount of electric oriented songs but don't expect to hear some amazing fretboard work as many of the musicians are above the 60 year mark. Both the CD and the DVD have the same music but the DVD is more interested in the lifestlyes of the players as well as their stories behind the music.

The lyrical style of many songs are overall light with few phrases and very repetitive wording. This combo is not focused on the lyrical sense but on the idea that true blues will not be around forever. Many of the songs have to do with life in the 50's or a common phrase is "Boogie" which gives a relative time frame as to when it was written. My favorite song which feature Double Trouble "WildChild" and a few others is SpoonFull.

I have watched the DVD about 4 times in 3 days, the CD has yet to leave my car stereo, which shows how much I enjoy it's music. Overall it's a good by especially the history and creation of blues and the lives that developed it. Many artists in this have now unfortunately passed away so this is, to an extent, their last musical recording. This brings a new perspective to blues and is worth checking out.