Devil Without A Cause review by Kid Rock

• Released: Aug 18, 1998
Kid Rock: Devil Without A Cause

This is Kid Rock's 3rd and best CD (in my opinion), and hes cocky and funny as ever in this hard-rocking, soul jumping CD. The CD is the sterotype Kid Rock (Girls, Booze, And Sex), but in this album he seems to have taken his time, for every song is very well crafted to make it unique from any other song. Most of the cd is straight up rock like Bawitdaba and Fist Of Rage, with a couple slow songs such as Black Chick, White Guy and Only God Knows Why, and even some rap metal - F--ck Off ft. Eminem. I like the sound Kid displays on this album.

The lyrics to me are straight up funny. Lines like "To all you bastards in the IRS/For the crooked cops and there cluttered desks(Bawaitdaba)" make this album. "Welcome To The Party" is definatly a subwoofer-worthy song, and "Only God Knows Why" is full of heart felt lyrics and to me is the 2nd best slow song Kid Rock has (besides "Abortion" - a track on History of Rock that was unreleased proir to the album). And last but not least, Cowboy is the song to listen to if you're in a good mood. Kid Rock's voice goes right along with the music and even though he isn't the most talented singer out there - he delivers and blows the standards away.

Devil Without A Cause is definatly the album of 1998. Songs like Bawitaba, Cowboy, Roving Gangster, Only God Knows Why, F--k Off, and Black Chick-White Guy make the CD worth while. I like the fact that Kid Rock cooled it a tiny bit-but by no means is he calm like in the self titled album. Although theres no songs like "Balls In Your Mouth," Kid Rock definatly brings it to ya on a silver platter.