First Kiss review by Kid Rock

• Released: Feb 24, 2015
Kid Rock: First Kiss

Okay, first off I must say this is a fantastic album! I've been a huge Kid Rock fan for about 2 years now since I bought "Devil Without a Cause," which if you haven't heard that go out and buy it right now, but that's not why I'm here. Kid's got his usual country vocals, no screaming or anything like that on here. Surprisingly this is just a country rock, some southern rock, album. He's added some new percussion into the background on some songs to give it more a country feel. The production is really good on this album and I am very happy with it!

I'm not really into the whole country lyric thing, you know the sad mopey stuff, but Kid really knows how to make meaningful and entertaining lyrics. But, that doesn't mean this is his best lyrical work. His best is on his real early stuff up to "Devil." Spoiler alert: there's only ONE explicit track, titled "F--k Off And Die" or "FOAD," on the whole album which disappointed me because I mean, it's Kid Rock. That doesn't mean it isn't good though because the album truly is great. Song topics range from drinking, "Ain't Enough Whiskey" and "Drinking Beer With Dad," to relationships, "First Kiss" and "One More Song."

I was really hoping this would be more like "Rebel Soul" which is his best work since "Cocky" in my opinion. Not only was I hoping for a bigger look on southern rock but a good rap rock song like "Cucci Galore" on "Rebel Soul." That was the biggest disappointment but other than there isn't necessarily a "bad" track on the album, overall it's above average. The best songs from the album are "Good Times, Cheap Wine," "Ain't Enough Whiskey" which is a great upbeat song, "Good Time Lookin' for Me," "Jesus and Bocephus," and "FOAD." If this were stolen I'd be pretty pissed and go rebuy it immediately. Overall, I found this to be a pretty good album of Kid's and I will probably be rotating it frequently through his other stuff now.

skydam
    First kiss isn't a bad song, but it's nothing special either. I would like it, though, I just cannot stand the man himself.
    yankmaddog
    Devil without a Cause was a masterpiece. Where this hick has gone now is truly depressing. Can't take it anymore.
    eGraham
    I removed the whole conversation about racism and slurs and such. This place isn't for that. Don't do it again.