Kid Rock review by Kid Rock

• Released: Nov 11, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Kid Rock: Kid Rock

Well Rock still has the same voice on this record, but it's far away from the sound of "Cocky." It was mainly country and a couple rock songs. "Black Bob," "I Am," "Hillbilly Stomp," and "Jackson, Mississippi" are the highlights and pretty much the only quality tracks on this album. He took a step away from metal, rap, and rock and we get country. Stay away from it if you don't like country, it's not like early Rock. Pretty sure Kid produced this and he did a pretty good job of it, good mix of bass and treble. Love his vocals no matter what anyone says, but on here the vocals occasionally make the songs drag on and on. Sold this after 4 days if that tells you anything.

Eh, typical Kid lyrics: b-tches and hoes. Just kidding, I didn't find too much to complain about with lyrics. Mainly a lot of the cliche sad and lonely country lyrics. Pretty sure he covered 1 or 2 Seger songs and he didn't change any of the lyrics for them. The one song that's almost like old Kid Rock is "Black Bob" due to the lyrics which fits the song pretty well, kind of a back-to-basics sound. Definitely don't prefer his country lyrics though. They're not very energetic at all, hmm I wonder why.

I figured that, you know, since it's Kid Rock it would be a good mix of rap and rock otherwise known as rap-rock. Totally wrong about that because it was mainly country. If any of you listen to Linkin Park, this is like "Meteora" to "Minutes to Midnight" but instead "Cocky" to "Kid Rock." Not saying it's bad to go away from what you usually do, you definitely don't want to stay on the same genre for more than 2 or 3 albums. Even though I don't enjoy this album as much as any of his others it's still good that he can pull away from his usual stuff. That is a sign of a strong artist, whether or not they can change. If this was stolen (considering the fact I've already sold it lol) I wouldn't buy it unless I saw it at a garage sale for 25 cents.