Rebel Soul review by Kid Rock

• Released: Nov 19, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Kid Rock: Rebel Soul

What a long strange trip Kid Rock's career has been. Before his career took off Kid Rock was a straight up hip hop artist playing clubs with local success in the late 80's and early 90's. He gave up hip hop and slowly rebranded himself as a rock act. When he first came back into public notice it was with his 4th studio release, "Devil Without A Cause", in 1998. At this point his music was straight forward rock with some rapped lyrics and now in 2012 he is deeply entrenched in southern rock with some pretty extensive forays into country music, with very occasional rapped lyrics or more hip hop tracks. So, basically you have someone who started their career purely hip hop and are now considered as THE most well known southern rock act of our times with the exception of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

"Rebel Soul" is Kid Rock's 11th studio album, and contains 14 tracks. The total run-time of the album is a few minutes over an hour. The current lineup of his band has been fairly stable since around 2007, with the addition of Shannon Curfman who was added in 2010 on guitar and backing vocals. Stacy Michelle who had previously added backup vocals left the group in 2009, as well. Like a lot of other southern rock bands, the sound depends on multiple guitars Kid Rock's current lineup consists of 3 guitarists, not including his own occasional playing live. Bones Trombly and Paradime add keyboards, organ, turntables and programming. The end result is a very full textured tapestry of sound on every song you really won't find much in the way of stripped down tracks on this album (though Kid Rock does marginally attempt the stripped down blues sound that has been popular lately with the track "Catt Boogie"). From a stylistic point of view, Kid Rock knows what he is doing his song structure, instrumentation, backup vocals and vocal harmony it is all immaculate in its own context. This is a solid album.

"Rebel Soul" finds Kid Rock continuing his recent attempt of mixing in some political views and social commentary, which has been showing up on his last few albums. Kid Rock obviously supports the troops and wants to make sure we all know it. My brother is in the military and I am proud of him and what he does, but with a lot of the support the troops music that comes out it just feels like artists are capitalizing on the market. I feel like that is what is going on with Kid Rock, but I guess when you look at the time he spends performing for troops and such it doesn't really matter if he is sincere. Kid Rock's voice is really the ideal for his specific brand of music with strong melody sounding like it is coming through slight gravel. You can't really complain about the quality of the vocals. With the exception of just a couple of covers on the album, the remainder was written by Kid Rock.

From the first single off of "Rebel Soul", here are some lyrics from "Lets Ride": "Used as a scapegoat taped to the wall/ bruised and abused on some foreign soil/ trained to kill baby, that's what we do/ and programmed to bleed red white and blue/ come on and grab your guns, lets ride/ and may your conscience be your guide/ I'll say a prayer for you to make it through to the other side/ tonight's the night we fight or die/ grab your guns son said we headed for war/ like your uncle JT done years before/ no p*ssy, no dope, this ain't Saigon/ but keep your heads up for roadside bombs/ c'mon and grab your guns let's ride/ and may your conscience be your guide/ I'll say a prayer for you to make it through to the other side/ tonight's the night we fight or die/ Even in darkness you're my strength my soul my will to survive/ but in this fight I stand ready to die".

My favorite song on the album would probably be "Chickens In The Pen" and my least favorite song by a large margin is "Happy New Year". It may just be me, but the song "Happy New Year" grates on my nerves like crazy for some reason. I hate to say it, but I really like the song "Cucci Galore" the funky bassline and rhythm are really catchy, and when the heavy chorus comes in the song won me over. In retrospect, after several listens there are songs for everyone (with a lot of genre blending) and well practiced song craft involved in this album. Kid Rock has been active in music for a good while now, and while he has changed over time, you have to admit he knows what he's doing. If you are a fan of Kid Rock's previous work then you will enjoy this album. If you are a fan of southern rock then you will enjoy this album. If you are looking for an album to play in your pickup truck while you go mudding, you will probably like this album. If you are a huge fan of Cannibal Corpse then this might not be an album you'd enjoy. I personally find myself somewhere in the middle. While I like the album well enough, only a few of the songs really stand out to me. You may want to preview and then pick and choose which tracks you purchase.

-LAW-
    Kid Rock... otherwise known as Goats penis.
    metalcoremax87
    KID ROCK IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO MUSIC IN RECENT HISTORY
    DifferentWorld
    Really bro? You reaaaaally can't think of any artists that are more detrimental to modern music than Kid Rock?
    centermass
    dumbest comment of the week right here ! let me help you out with some "worse " things to happen to music.... jay z, usher, beyonce, justin beiber, american idol, i tunes, auto tune, lil wayne playing the guitar, this website shall i continue? dude your a douche! think before you type! at least kid rock makes music with instruments and soul!
    Breakingpoint56
    You're bitching about this website being something bad that has happened to music while you use its faculties? Its organization of tablature, music news, reviews and user generated lessons to help others who need help? Are you ****ing stupid? OHHHH. You were talking about your comment being dumbest comment of the week.
    centermass
    from your profile .. and you ask if i am ****ing stupid? wow!!! About Breakingpoint56 Zach- N. literally translated to... the great women seducer.. in ancient the Greek language. Usually having an urge to have sex for more then 7 hours. V. To have sex with women for more than 7 hours. To have millions of your potential children die all over your girlfriends face. My names Zach. Usually you can find me tearing up weights at the gym or playing guitar. Its just what I do. Im in college right now over at FSU and Im not failing. We consider that a plus where Im from. I got some awesome friends, Derek, Matt and Brian ****ing white. Matt shoots up on roids and Derek shoots up on cheeseburgers. Brian just shoots. haha.Im pretty consumed right now with school but when I do find some down time you can find me with the above faggots. Except for Brian. We had to get a trial seperation. :'( Air Force. But he can also bomb your house if your not careful. Keep that in mind. Dickbag. Anyways. Im just studying general courses right now but next year Im thinking about making my major National Security. I have epilepsy.So yeah, Im the guy who is usually shaking in the corner, and yeah, your usually the people who are throwing peanuts to see if you can get them in my mouth. Your the ones who's houses are getting bombed. Bear that in mind...Just as soon as I recover from the tardgasm that is my seizure. Anyways. Thats me. Later.
    p_a_morgan
    It'd be nice if 'The Kid' would stick to a single genre and stop going where the money's at. I mean..yeah, I'm all for someone trying to better themselves...but when he 'rapped,' he didn't make it better..he made it worse. Same goes for his 'rock' and 'country' careers. I get it, Kid Rock, you can do your best Tom Petty impression and people will pay to hear it. That is no excuse.
    shakyjake316
    Did you just equate Kid Rock to Tom Petty in some way? You're a crazy person. You know that?
    Breakingpoint56
    I wouldn't even be as bold to say that Kid Rock goes where the moneys at because southern rock really isn't the "in" fashion right now. I think he just doesn't want to admit the fact that he's a subpar musician. He got big off his rap career but was just the vocalist if I remember correctly. Had he not started out in rap, he wouldn't have made it in southern rock or country.
    coolhandlundy
    If you are expecting something groundbreaking from Kid Rock then you are a ****ing moron. His songs are rifled with cliches and some of them sound like they were written over the course of about eight minutes. However, that said, he's a ****ing genius! His new album kicks ass. It's just a good time. That's all. Go listen to U2 or ****ing Radiohead if you're such a fag that you need to hear guys masterbate about themselves on their albums. I bet Kid Rock is in a beat up lawn chair right now drinking a cold one, surrounded by hotter girls and better buddies than any of you fags. Kid Rock's new album is a revelation. Eat dick faggots.