No Gravity Review

artist: Kiko Louriero date: 12/14/2009 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Kiko Louriero: No Gravity
Released: Mar 28, 2005
Genre: instrumental
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
No Gravity Reviewed by: dandan321, on december 14, 2009

Sound: The first couple seconds of popping the disc in, immediately hundreds of notes are already being fired at you. But, to call this is a generic shred album is a very grave mistake. People who take the time to listen to the disc will realize that Kiko has invented a sound never heard before, combining the rhythms of Power Metal with a flavour of Brazilian influences; ripping out melodies that are memorable on every track. There are no filler tracks here, people. His leads are extraordinary, hailing a fusion type sound but never resorting to bland, out of the box playing just because he can or falling back on straight scalar runs. They're always full of life and a lot of the time jaw dropping. I remember before playing the whole disc track to track, I had the songs on my iPod and I would just have it on random. And, every time I would go 'HOLY Shit What Was That'. I would check the artist's name, it would always be Kiko Louriero. // 9

Lyrics: No lyrics, purely instrumental. // 9

Overall Impression: This disc should be considered a landmark for shred, or instrumental guitar. It is definitely in my top 3 of best guitar instrumental discs. With only Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes in front of it. My favourite tracks are: Enfermo, Pau de Arara, Moment of Truth and Beautiful Language. They're all awesome though, these just stand out the most to me. I find No Gravity to be compelling, and I always find nuances that I never noticed before every time I pop in the disc to listen to it. The only thing I hate, is that eventually it had to end. Stacking at 13 tracks, I could only wish the disc was longer so I could hear more of Kiko's fantastic playing. If it was stolen, I would gladly let the guy have it, because more people need to hear this guy's music. And, I would immediately buy it again. I doubt I could lose it anyways, because it is almost always in my CD Player. // 9

Comments