Kill Devil Hill review by Kill Devil Hill

• Released: Mar 26, 2012
Kill Devil Hill: Kill Devil Hill

The new metal supergroup comprised of drummer Vinny Appice (Dio, Black Sabbath), bassist Rex Brown (Down, Pantera), guitarist Mark Zavon (W.A.S.P.), and vocalist Jason Dewey Bragg (Pissing Razors). The band's sound is a mix between Alice In Chains vocals and Black Sabbath riffs - they even say it for themselves. The album was postponed from 2011 to May 2012.

Lyrics are very well written and go well with the Alice In Chains type of vocals. Not sure who wrote the lyrics but they came out really good. Dewey Bragg can really sing. He sings very well in the fast songs like "War Machine", and sings very well in the slower songs like "Mysterious Ways".

Overall a great album. I think it the best stuff Rex has done since 2000's "Reinventing The Steel". The best songs on the album personally are "Old Man", "War Machine", "We'Re All Gonna Die", and "Strange". The best thing about this album is that the mix between Sabbath riffs and vocals - a really unique sound. I wouldn't give it a 9 or a 10 because it is not in the same class as some of the big metal albums like "Rust In Peace", "Master Of Puppets", "Piece Of Mind" etc. If this album was stolen I would definitely buy it again.

iommi600
    To me, this is the kind of album that had everything it takes to work. I mean, Pantera, Dio, Sabbath, Down... look at their curriculum. But the album itself sounds really dull...
    Vicious_Turtle
    heard one song on xm. i think i hard the same riff for the entire song. and it wasnt even a good riff.
    Campbell22
    they should have taken Pantera's drummer instead... Appice is not cutting it on this album
    My Last Words
    These reviews are getting out of hand.. Ug, you might as well just remove all grades except the 8,9 and 10. Meh..