Until There's Nothing Left Of Us Review

Kill Hannah: Until There's Nothing Left Of Us
Release Date: Aug 1, 2006
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Post-Grunge, Neo-Glam, Emo, Dream Pop, Post-Hardcore, Shoegaze
Until There's Nothing Left Of Us is an album most easily described as indie-shoegaze-electro-post-hardcore-emo-dream pop-rock.
 7.8
 8.5
 7.1
Until There's Nothing Left Of Us Reviewed by: tbarrettl, on january 09, 2007

Sound: The guitars are really good and the synth is blended in well, the singer appears to have a Weak high voice which may be a production problem, the album is very short at maybe 37 minutes. I first heard Welcome To Chicago about 7 years ago and thought, what on earth was that? because the singer was barely listenable except when he said motherf--ker. // 9

Lyrics: My impression is the lyrics are decent but not with much meaning. The lyrics really mixed with the music especially the synths. The singer has a slightly high voice and good range but not a real strong voice. I think after seeing a live Cherub Rock Cover by them the singer is better than the Album presents him, but the Production is still slightly weak. // 7

Overall Impression: The style of this album is a bit like mixing AFI and The Killers together. This group has been in it for over 10 years and finally have a good sound. I really like Lips Like Morphine as a somewhat pop styled example of how the album sounds. I love once again the synth mixed into the music, the songs just don't always have much meaning or clarity. I listened to this at a friend's house and if it were mine I would buy it again. // 9

Until There's Nothing Left Of Us Reviewed by: deusexmachina, on february 17, 2007

Sound: An album definately accessable to everyone, but not appreciated by everyone. Chicago natives Kill Hannah have been in the business for over a decade and their new album, "Until There's Nothing Left of Us" give us a more produced and structured sound to the band, both a lessing and a flaw. While earlier albums dating ack to album number one, "The Beauty in Sinking Ships" (which had only one current member) as the raw edge that the band uses a la Smashing Pumpkins, the vocals are a little difficult to understand. Each new release, understandably, got more and more solid and mixed a bit more, and while the vocals are very easy to understand on this new album, you lose the raw, musicality of the band. (To understand exactly what I mean, think of Nirvana. The most popular album "Nevermind" was overproduced to hell, while their best album, "In Utero" captured each and every stray sound of the studio, the way Nirvana was meant to be heard). I'd say that, overall, the instruments are blended well, and each member can be heard playing their respective parts. We also see guitarist, Jon Radtke's first attempt at contributing to songs on the album, namely "Statue Without Eyes" and "The Songs That Saved My Life". This is quite evident, as the synths seem to take a bit of a back seat and the guitar work is a bit more complex when compared to other songs. In general, this is good alternative, synth-rock, but I must say that I enjoy the earlier, edgier sounds of years past. // 8

Lyrics: It was the lyrics that first drew me to the band many years ago. As a guitarist, I had heard (and written) a lot of what I had heard from the band, but I was (and stil am) a poor lyricist. While the lyrics, generally, are not deep and seem to follow a very similar style and structure in most songs, I have to say that singer Mat does a good job of holding interest on every album, including this one. I will compare them, again, to the Smashing Pumpkins. While not as diverse as the Pumpkins were, stylistically, the two bands are very similar, and if a singer can hold attention throughout an album, I'd say that's a very good strength for any band. // 9

Overall Impression: When compared to other albums by the band, I would have to put this one near the bottom, but as bad as that may sound, I feel that their past efforts have just been very difficult to overcome. I feel the band is capable of it, judging by track that were not included on any albums (such as "Goodbye, Goodnight" or a studio version of "Welcome to Chicago, Motherf--ker"). The band has a lot of promise, and a great foundation in their inspirational pool. As stated earlier, it is evident the songs that one of their other guitarists had a hand in creating, and as a guitarist, I feel drawn to those two songs ("Statue Without Eyes" and "The Songs That Saved my Life"). I also enjoy the true opening track, "Believer" (after the intro track. What I do not like is the length. I feel that with the inclusion of the intro and outro tracks, I was cheated out of an extra few minutes of music, and clocking in at around 40 minutes, it is not one of their longest CDs, but I do feel that there are enough tracks that keep the CD in constant rotation. I recommend buying this album on iTunes, which would give you a bonus track ("The Chase") and an artist commentary track, which is always fun to listen to! Of course, I noticed this after attending the album release party, but had no problem shelling out an additional 10 bucks (iTunes forces you to buy the album to get the bonus tracks). This album is definately worth whatever you pay for it, be it at you local music store or your Internet music store of choice. Disclaimer: though I feel that, as a regular listener, I would give this section a 10, being an avid follower of the band and having seen then over a dozen times, I, as a fan, cannot give anything higher than an honest '9'. I enjoy their older work over this album, but do feel that it is a musically strong release. I will recommend it and their other albums until my dying day. // 9

Comments