Brighter Than A Thousands Suns Review

Killing Joke: Brighter Than A Thousands Suns
Released: Nov 1986
Genre: Darkwave, Post-Punk
Label: EG Records
This is not the Killing Joke we all know and love but it is a good album.
 7.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Brighter Than A Thousands Suns Reviewed by: swave75, on july 06, 2011

Sound: After Killing Joke made their biggest album "Night Time" they continued in the same vein musically. Gone are the growling vocals of Jaz Coleman and the industrial sounding guitars. This album features a calmer quieter Killing Joke. Lots of keyboards and clean vocals. Coleman can actually sing. // 9

Lyrics: Jaz Coleman is an excellent songwriter and this album proves can write about whatever is on his mind. It seems like on this album he is concerned with nature and the world in general. The song "A Southern Sky" he sings "A voice that is singing in my head with the breeze, the waves, the sea..." Or in "Victory" he sings "Raise your heads and voices the promise of beyond with courage face the moment remember who you are!" Musically, this really doesn't sound like a Killing Joke album but Geordie Walker still plays some great guitar. Check out his funky riff for "Victory". Or the opening for "Rubicon" and "Twilight Of The Mortal". // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, this is not the Killing Joke we all know and love but it is a good album. Good, not great. The most impressive songs to me are "Twilight Of The Mortal", "Rubicon", and "Victory". I also love "A Southern Sky" though it doesn't sound anything like Killing Joke. My complaint is the Jaz Coleman plays the same keyboard effect on almost all the songs. He could have used something else. Gets kind of old. If it were lost of stolen I would eventually get it again but not right away. // 7

Comments