Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell Review

Killing Joke: Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell
Released: Apr 3, 2006
Genre: Industrial metal, Experimental, Post-Punk
Label: Cooking Vinyl
This album was recorded in Prague in a dark basement using old recording equipment from the 70's. This album uses some ear splitting guitar effects, thunderous drums , and some wonderful harsh growls and clean singing. It is a very wonderful album.
 9.4
 8.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell Reviewed by: swave75, on june 14, 2011

Sound: I can't believe no one has written one review ever about Killing Joke on Ultimate-Guitar. This is so sad. But I am glad and proud to be the first! This album was recorded in Prague in a dark basement using old recording equipment from the 70's. The cover and artwork inside the CD is by Russian surrealist Victor Safonkin. Killing Joke are THE pioneers for industrial music. No Killing Joke... No Ministry or Nine Inch Nails. This album uses some ear splitting guitar effects (from Geordie Walker), thunderous drums (by Ben Calvert), and some wonderful harsh growls and clean singing by Jaz Coleman. It is a very wonderful album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyically, Jaz Coleman is otherworldly. He is very underrated in the would of rock. He can write about what he thinks about what is going on in the world, write about the occult, write about people he likes or dislikes, or whatever. The music runs off his singing. Sounds growling, screaming, other times it is taken down a few notches. Killing Joke are such a great secret. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't own all their albums but this is my favorite. "Nighttime" and "Pandemonium" rule but this is the one for me. My favorite songs are no doubt "Judas Goat" (the drums on this rock), the title track which is the single off this album, "Invocation", and especially "Gratitude". A very wonderful tribute song to anyone including yourself. The fact that the late Paul Raven's bass is sometimes lost is my only complaint. I would so be devastated if I lost this album. But I would find it again. // 10

Comments