Alive Or Just Breathing review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: May 21, 2002
Killswitch Engage: Alive Or Just Breathing

When I first heard the opening track 'Numbered Days', I instantly thought it was crap, as I only bought it for 'My Last Serenade'. How wrong I was! There is not one track that is unlistenable on this album. This is an instant classic metal album. And the production by Adam D. of KSE (compared to their debut album 'Killswitch Engage') is outstanding, the strongest thing on this record, except, of course the music.

I read the lyrics, and they are not your typical metal lyrics. Jesse sings about positive things, rather than "I'm Gonna Kill!" that you get from other metal bands. Lines like "Are we alive, or just, breathing?" is talking about living your life to the fullest. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music, and makes the sound stronger and relative to the music. Jesse has a wide range of vocals, from melodic singing e.g. 'My last Serenade' to gutteral growling e.g. 'To The Sons Of Man'.

There is nothing about this album that I hate, this is the best album they have released. I would definitly buy this album again if I lost it or it was stolen. In conclusion, buy this album. Now!