Alive Or Just Breathing review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: May 21, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Killswitch Engage: Alive Or Just Breathing

alive or just breathing is by far the best album produced by killswitch engage. The way that they made heavy medal with the combination of Jesse's wonderful melodic singing voice, and Jesse's heavy scream was outstanding. At first when making this album, Jesse was nervous bedause he had not sung that deeply before so they deceid to record the vocals at Jesse's house in Rhode Island. It made sense to him because that were his grand mother had died and were he had first found an interest in music. Jesse had actually torn his back while recording the song "Life To Lifeless" and was on his back for nine days. The guitar on this album is excellant. The fact that they have to guitarest makes there music 10x better because they can dielever a much heavier sound. Usaully people don't pay much attention to drums or bass, but in this album its almost impossible not to hear the amazing duoble bass beats and the outstanding bass lines.

The lyrics on this album are perfectly put together by lead vocalest Jesse Leach. Some of the songs really have the depression feeling to them, "The skies weep tonight, I am waiting for," "This is my last serenade, I feel you as you fall away" and the change in metal instead of sing about hatred Jesse sings about compasion and equality "No one is placed higher than another no matter race or creed or gender," "Building a revolution to heal nations." I also found it amazing that not one single swear word was said in this or any of the kilswitch albums and the use of such big words such as: damnnation, serenade, fixation, delieverance just blew my mind away.

This is by far the best album I have heard in my entire life. Song's such as "Fixation On The Darkness," "My Last Serenade," "Numbered Days" realy bring the bands original style of music to life. I don't have a single compliant about this entire album! Amazing work KSE!

dicer4
    awem guy, but i have to dis agree the element of one is ****in aswem but its soft song , these are the most aggresive song on the album: numbered days, to the sons of man, life to lifeless, vide infra if you got the speical adition of this cd then you have the bonus disc with the song when the balance is broken, please view my tab for when the balance is broken because it ist the only one on the interent dicer4 dicer4@msn.com
    dicer4
    oh and just to be clear i think eveeything about this cd is a ten, i put 6 for everything cuz i thought we had to rate how weell we thought the gramer and puntuations were, lol