Alive Or Just Breathing review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: May 21, 2002
Killswitch Engage: Alive Or Just Breathing

Compared to the first album the sound quality is amazing. It is one of my two favorite Killswitch albums with End of Heartache. Killswitch are my favorite band from the metal side of music. They have great guitar riffs and melodies that sometimes can be heavy as machine head. They're choruses are huge and catchy as hell. Drums vary in dificulty, usually tending to be quite easy but with a big bass to them producing a heavy sound.

Jesse-David Leach you are god of vocals! Without him and the current singer Howard Kilswitch would be nothing! The screaming in this abum is verging on a death metal song if it weren't for the lyrics which are about the better side of life and positive views. Because of the emotion that Jesse used in his screaming instead of technique they often had to cancel gigs 'cause Jesse blew his voice. This definatly shows on the album. The choruses as I have said are huge choruses which are mainly because of Jesse singing instead of screaming. Very catchy and awesome lyrics!

As I said one of my favorite albums! Really made Killswitch who they are but slightly heavier that they are nowadays. The impression this album made on me really got me into metal and now I'm a complete metal head!

Chris-W-11
    Love this album. I can't even listen to 'As Daylight Dies' after listening to this. Truly my favourite album ever!!