As Daylight Dies review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Killswitch Engage: As Daylight Dies

After picking up the latest in my collection of Killswitch Engage albums, I am proud and almost relieved to say that it deserves it's place among their previous releases. In other words, it is good, as it is not exactly an easy feet to release an album to match both the masterpieces of Alive or Just Breathing and The End of Heartache. As for the overall sound of this album, it is nothing less of what is to be expected of a Killswitch Engage release, aggressive and creative guitar riffs, masterful vocals, sweet drum fills and wicked bass lines. As Daylight Dies also seems to be a lot more versatile than their previous releases encompassing many more genres. As well as this, Killswitch retains their ability to drift from the stereotypes of contemporary music ideas and labels, once again cementing their originality and brilliance, not allowing themselves to be pigeonholed into a single genre. As any true fan of Killswitch Engage can appreciate, I believe nothing more needs to be said in respect to their sound, it has not faltered.

Okay so here is usually where the pointless fighting occurs over Jesse and Howard. Rather than add to the ongoing arguments, I'm just going to focus on Howard's contribution to this record, being a major driving force behind its success. The lyrics are definitely credible, although no comparison to the brilliance of Jessie Leach. As they don't tend to stray far from the ideas of love and the falling out of love, although almost terribly cliche, it suits the music well. Regarding the vocal talent of Howard Jones, he is continually at his best, once again with this effort, establishing himself as one of the singers at the forefront of modern metal. A very unique talent indeed. The backup vocals from Adam D also prove to be quite extraordinary as they attribute to some of the most memorable choruses.

This album definitely holds its own against their older material, although not exactly progressional in terms of it's sound; it does set a benchmark in Killswitch's discography which is not to be overlooked. Personal favourites include: The Eye of the Storm (breakdown and bass solo make this song great), This Is Absolution (very solid song with one of the most memorable choruses) and the exceptional first single, My Curse. In regards to the whole If it were stolen/lost would you buy it again? question, this album earns a positive yes, as I can see it being an album I would easily revisit in the future. All in all, As Daylight Dies is a very solid album and is well worth the money.