As Daylight Dies review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Killswitch Engage: As Daylight Dies

I guess I can start by saying the intro to this album really threw me off. You want to hit your listener with a sledgehammer to open a metal album properly, and I definitely didn't feel that here. Granted once things get rolling, it's all gravy, but then you sort of get lost again. A lot of As Daylight Dies follows past formulas from the other Killswitch albums, and there's also a whole lot that's new which goes in a pretty different direction. Something I found as a positive and negative for the whole sound is that you are completely immersed in it, it's a big big sound that just wraps you in its atmosphere, yet in that situation, clarity is all over the place and memorable moments outside of choruses are rare. I tend to feel the difference of this album and other Killswitch is similar to Lamb of God's change in sound, if you've listened recently (I.e. the clarity and orchestration of Ashes of the Wake vs. the mature yet too swept up Sacrament). I wish I could appreciate this album on levels other than background music but I honestly can't. Very few riffs and verses stand out, very few. On the upside, Howard is absolutely the highlight of this album, his choruses shine, even though they end up sort of echoing each other throughout songs. It seems like everything that's new and fresh on the album is just dry and a recycling of their success, except now it's far less exciting. It's less metal and more along hardcore/damn near emo lines. I mean, Alive or Just Breathing may very well be my favorite album of all time, and End of Heartache is great, but I don't think As Daylight Dies can hold a candle to them.

Pretty similar and consistnet lyrics, kind of wish they would change up the themes a little more. Like I mentioned, though, Howard is the highlight of this album. Which also blows a little bit, because it overshadows the music, and any musical breaks/interlude become more like a gimmick than a piece of composition since you're just waiting for more melodies. His screams are definitely better here than Heartache, but his strength is found way more in his singing, which is powerful as shit.

I do enjoy listening to this album, but it's basically doomed to background music unless I have a big awakening and start really loving every bit of the album. It has it's moments, but they're almost all tied to chorus vocals. I'm not expecting an album better than Alive or Just Breathing from Killswitch, just different flavors, but I'm not really digging the new direction. Worth getting, worth listening to, if only to learn a few things about progression of a band's work, or lack thereof.

stoneyard
    First off I love KSE, I think AOJB and EOHA are two of the best albums put out by any band consecutively. ADD is a little dissapointing, not poor but drops them down a little from their thrown of metalcore king.
    ledzppln1969
    this is a great album. it is similar to EOHA, but then, it is different. i think it is heavier a lot of time, with better riffs and much more intense drumming and bass lines. howard jones is spot on, because hes the man. and if you havent heard AOJB, get "fixation on the darkness", "life to lifeless" and "rise inside"
    GetTheGasoline
    there is no posisble way that killswitch will ever be the killswitch i fell in love with: ALIVE OR JUST BREATHING. the singer was better, the rifs were better, everything was better. howard is good and all but...i dont know...i just dont know. AOJB is the best metalcore out there and to say that killswtich is better with howard than they were with the other guy(i dont remember his name) is ludacris. the mars volta is the best band in the world. **** kiss
    bsdrocker78
    just got the album today...and for the most part its excellent, although some of the songs dont follow a continuous format and it sounds like some songs are just thrown together using a bunch of different guitar riffs. I did like how their is more harmonzing of guitars on ADD and how its more heavier then TEOH. Arms of Sorrow stands out as one of the best songs.....by the way if you jesse leach fans wanna check him out he's in the band seemless who is like a softer type metalcore progressive rock band, go check em out cuz they are sick, there on tour with in flames and lacuna coil.
    Nic0084
    alive or just breathing and the end of heartache both completely awesome albums. As daylight dies, i think, was a move in the correct direction and is an incredible album. they are showing everyone else in their "genre of metal" whats really going on. death metal/black metal.....i disagree
    7_seven_7
    on topic: i got this album before it was released here in my country (australia) and its awesome, i've been listening to it over and over i really like it. and also, can someone start tabbing this album out? i really wana learn how to play em all and wats with the metal'core' i hate all these sub genres. they're metal. wats the use in calling them metalcore? does the 'core' make it sound a bit softer? or what? to me they're metal. and a fUckin awesome band.
    dizturbed
    bsdrocker78 wrote: just got the album today...and for the most part its excellent, although some of the songs dont follow a continuous format and it sounds like some songs are just thrown together using a bunch of different guitar riffs. I did like how their is more harmonzing of guitars on ADD and how its more heavier then TEOH. Arms of Sorrow stands out as one of the best songs....
    I agree with ya that Arms of Sorrow is a really good song. Track #2 is one of the better ones as well. I disagree that the rest of the album is great, for some reason, the rest just doesn't stand out to me. Maybe it'll grow on me. I agree about how jumbled and thrown together some of it seems. On Headbanger's Ball last weekend, Howard and Adam were guests and they talked a little about the album. Basically Howard said that they spent a LOT of time after TEOH touring, and when they got back, Roadrunner was pressuring them to hurry up and get a new album out. Personally, I would think KsE would have had enough balls to tell the record reps to f*ck off and make the album the way they wanted, screw timing. Maybe it's just me, I don't know how I would have reacted in the same situation.