As Daylight Dies review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Killswitch Engage: As Daylight Dies

This CD is Killswitch Engage's follow-up to 2004's "The End Of Heartache". The band hasn't changed much, soundwise, but their songwriting skills have imporved greatly. As much as I like "The End Of Heartache", "As Daylight Dies" is just an amazing album. The opening track, which is where the album name came from, "Daylight Dies" is absolutely mindblowing. It has a great intro in which you are eagerly awaiting the heaviness of the song, start off slow and gradually getting louder and heavier. Then the vocals kick in and there's an amazing little harmonized riff. That's only one of the songs. The rest of the album is just as good, if not better. Howard's vocals seem a lot stronger and he seems more confident on this record as well. I don't see any storyline in the album, but I'm sure each song has a strong meaning. Also, Justin Foley(drums) seems to have greatly improved as a drummer, from his double bass skills, to just changing up his style a little bit.

The lyrics are typical Howard Jones. Nothing special, but yet still strong and appealing. Songs like "For You" and "Still Beats Your Name" have lyrics about love and being devoted to one person, etc, which, like I said, is typical Howard Jones, but the point gets made. I wasn't too impressed on the lyrics, but Howard's vocals are amazing on this album. He seems much more confident and seems to have tried many new things with his style. Overall, it worked great. The lyrics in some songs don't really go with the music, except in certain spots. Going back to "For You", it's a heavy song with softer lyrics. Even so, the song still fits. Lyrics could have been better on this album, but the sound is awesome.

This album blew me away. I haven't stopped listening to it since I bought it. It doesn't really sound like any other artists I listen to personally, if anyone has any, feel free to let me know. The songs that caught my ear, I guess you could say, were "Daylight Dies" and "Break The Silence". Those are my 2 personal favorites. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the songs are great, but those 2 really stuck out. I love the fact that Howard hasn't dropped the screaming. A lot of bands seem to be doing that, and Killswitch just wouldn't be Killswitch if Howard dropped it. I don't so much like that there's only 11 tracks. "The End Of Heartache" had 12 songs, plus 2 Bonus tracks, "My Life For Yours" and "Irreversal". "As Daylight Dies" has just 11 tracks, none of which exceed 4:45. Killswitch took 2 years to release the album, one would think there would be more tracks. Other than that, the album is nearly flawless. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Killswitch Engage. It has not softened up, and makes you want to bang your head. That's what I look for in a Killswitch Engage album. If this album were to get stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Great album.

Ishiga
    I have GOT to get this album. I've heard a couple songs from it and I love what I've heard. I think this album could put them in the run against Soilwork and In Flames in my books.
    TinTin8
    great album but where did these EMO/CORE generes come from? out of no where these gay names came ... i classify them as metal ... why cant you just leave it at that
    simonzwaan
    Jeff Manthei wrote: Im not disrespecting Killswitch... they are a good band... I even bought this album and was good... However... I do not agree that they are Death/Black metal...
    I agree, i would also put them in the Metalcore genre
    simonzwaan
    But i just bought the cd i love it i love the song: This Is Absolution anywho cyall
    jodo311
    Everyone keeps posting that this album has 11 tracks and that's kind of disappointing. Well, go to Target and buy it. It has 12 tracks. The bonus is called "Let The Bridges Burn". Enjoy that little morsel of knowledge.
    Shredder-87
    Killswitch were the originals. For me, they opened up a whole new world of music to my ears. When I was younger I listened to mostly old rock, then high school came along and I got caught up in the nu-metal phase where bands would just play one fret chords in drop D w/ no solos. I always thought "man I like the power and feel of this music but the guitars are just too limited and held back". But I loved the nu'metal scene. Then I hear Fixation on the darkness" by KSE and Im hooked. This album "As Daylight Dies" is amazing. I know alot of poeple say they didnt go anywhere from The End Of Heartache. But if you honestly think that then you're mind doesnt go very deep with music. Because this album has a very big southern influence, I dont know if its because of Dimebag passing on or what. But this album isnt really as black as the last 3 were. Its still the heaviest metalcore out there, but its also the most melodic and beutiful metalcore as well. And a lot of people complain that they dont use guitar solos, but one riff of Killswitch's is pretty damn hard usually. They have lots of talent and will be around for awhile, because while everybody else just screams and plays breakdown after breakdown going nowhere, Killswitch innovates and puts in melody and amazing guitar craftsmanship and skill. Great Great album, and its definitely its own sound. In some ways its heavier than the previous TEOH, and its also more melodic at the same time. Great Job KSE you are my fav. and as long as you keep up this great metalcore....then you always will be my fav. Rock on.
    Shredder-87
    death2pop wrote: Sold out, sold out, sold out!!!! u have got to Fucking see it!! Leech owns!!!
    ....^ How did they sell out? If you listen to this album with care and true ear...then you will realize that when they go heavy its just as heavy as they ever have been. First off....I really dont think they can get any heavier, and honestly...if they tried to keep getting heavier, then they would fall off the top of the mountain they're sitting on right now because of lack of innovation. This band is about music, not heavy. They want to do it all. Their goal isnt to just be heavy as hell, but do be everything : to be heavy as hell, to be melodic as ever, and to be very skillful and technical all at the same time. And this album shows to be the best effort to reach that goal. So if you dont really care about musicianship and skill then of course you're going to be upset. But even if you're just looking for heavyness, they still are just as heavy as they were man, they've added more melody but the heaviness hasnt slowed down or slacked off, it hits just as hard if not harder. And dont say Howard is at all to blame, because his range as a screamer/growler/singer is above all in this genre and theres nothing anyone can say otherwise.
    GetTheGasoline
    great cd. way better than the previous, but just a shy less than alive or just breathing. im quite impressed. i just wish howard would stop trying to be too epic