Killswitch Engage review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: Jun 26, 2009
Killswitch Engage: Killswitch Engage

Before I even start, I have to say that this just might be my favorite album ever. Alive or Just Breathing really put Killswitch on the map, but this a gem that absolutely should not be missed. Also, for this review, I will be referring to the remastered edition. This is Killswitch's debut, and what a hell of a debut. It's packed with so much raw emotion and passion. Jesse Leach is such a great vocalist. The man can really do everything. He'll deliver haunting clean vocals one second, then a vicious scream the next, flawlessly. This is before they were watered down. Don't get me wrong, I think Alive or Just Breathing is incredible, but it was very formulaic. Don't expect many clean vocal choruses on this one.

01. Temple From The Within - awesome opening track. This version is ten times better than the one remade on AOJB. It's an ode to spirituality. 02. Vide Infra - the best Killswitch song. So much emotion in this one. The last line at the end has to be heard to be believed. Jesse's delivery was spot on. 03. Irreversal - this a spiritual song. Acoustic bridge followed by an awesome ending. 04. Rusted Embrace - brutal song. Another song that doesn't get much praise. Great lyrics about how we basically have destroyed our own world. 05. Prelude - instrumental. 06. Soilborn - killer song. The ending to this song is one of my favorites. Incredible. 07. Numb Sickened Eyes - probably the weakest track here. That's not saying it's bad, it's just not up to par with the rest. 08. In The Unblind - uplifting song about being the person you want to be, don't be lead by others. 09. One Last Sunset - epic closing track. Makes you reflect on everything you've heard.

Everyone has albums that change their life, this is one of mine. It's a great listening experience, and even if you're not a big fan of the music, yo have to appreciate the passion. The only downside to the album is that it might be a little short. Quality over quantity, I'd say. I'd have no hesitation in buying it again if it were stolen.

JoshD182
    Dobzilla
    JoshD182 wrote: The Original singer/vocalist was Jesse Leach, good on CD but shit live, Howard is a much better singer/vocalist IMO. this album is so so, its good to see/hear where they came from but their newer stuff is far superior.
    I loved Jesse Leeche, I liked his voice a lot more than Howard's, but now that he's changed his style in Seamless, I don't think he's as good. But then again, as he said himself "There's a fine line between technique and emotion, there was all the emotion and not enough technique" when he was with KsE. Shame really... Anyway, checked.
    metalcoremax87
    all there stuff is good... i do like alive or just breathing better tho... gotta love the duel guitar set up
    Axilla
    great album....i have it signed by most of the band...and the current singer...not their original singer...which kinda sucks...but i met the bad so thats cool
    metaladdict123
    im aiming to try and find all their albums, already got end of heartache and as daylight dies, and they are great
    roosterfx1
    i love the remastered version of this album, and its dirt cheap so there's no excuse not to pick it up
    KaneIsRaw13
    I have to disagree with the comment on Temple From The Within on the self-titled being "ten times better" than the AOJB version. The production is much better on AOJB, and there are minor vocal and guitar alterations on the AOJB version that makes it better as a whole.
    Darkhunter292
    i personally loved this album. if anyone is really into jesse's voice you should check out the empire shall fall.hes the vocalist for them now