Killswitch Engage (2009) review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: Jun 30, 2009
Killswitch Engage: Killswitch Engage (2009)

The first words that come to mind when hearing this album are "WOW" and "OH MY GOD", this album has met the hype thats been surrounding its release for quite some time. This album is a lot heavier than previous releases and although it is heavier it still sticks with the traditional theme of powerful vocals and deep meaningful lyrics. There is a lot of melody to their heavy songs with the odd mellow part lurking in the corners under the heavy guitar tracks.

The lyrics are some of the most amazing that I've heard to date. Howard Jones has done an excellent job of continuing the legacy of Killswitch vocalwork laid down in 2000 but left midway through touring in 2002 after becoming depressed. These lyrics go with the instrumentals like bread and butter, they are so smooth and enjoyable and you don't need fancy bits to make them any better than they already are. Howard has such a pure voice and he is enjoyable to listen to even when he is screaming. Great skills all round.

It vaugely compares to their previous albums but being a heavier album it sort of slots into a different area of music but still a great album to listen to. My favourite songs from this album are "Starting Over" and "The Forgotten", there are amzing guitar melodies and truely sensational vocalwork by Howard. Theres not much wrong with the album apart from the fact that there really isn't a whole lot of music on the disc (lacking tracks), how ever the tracks that are on there are pretty damn good. I would go and buy this album again in a heart beat as I really enjoy this album.

Friar Tuck
    Gutted I shelled out a tenner for this. I'd never bought a KS album before despite having liked the odd tune. I bought this on the strength of Reckoning but there isn't a lot else to excite apart from that. Barely a decent melody on there. Burn.