The End of Heartache review by Killswitch Engage

• Released: Feb 21, 2005
Killswitch Engage: The End of Heartache

Killswitch Engage is the reason why I have a passion for metalcore music. The band truly has an "all-star" line-up now, with Howard's soaring and crushing vocals, Adam and Joel's melodic and heavy riffing, Mike's bass wielding, and Justin's fast double bass beats. "The End of Heartache," along with All That Remains "The Fall of Ideals," is one of the best CDs that I own now. Every time I listen to it, I'm blown away over and over again. Compared to "Alive or Just Breathing," there is more of a melodic feel to the music. Either way, each song has the ability to hit a person like a ton of bricks! The guitars have really improved since the last album. I'm extremely impressed by the composition of each song. It's really become unique in its own way. One of my favorite songs is "Rose of Sharyn" because of the overly complicated chorus harmony. Another one is "Breathe Life" for the chorus. The choruses in each song are really soaring because of the riffs; Adam would do more of the power chords and rhythm while Joel may add a bit of a picking melody to make it sound dynamic. This is also the first Killswitch Engage CD in which they incorporated a solo! In "Breathe Life," Adam pulls off a really "blues" kind of solo and it fits perfectly! The overall sound is killer. Definitely get this album if you like really heavy riffing! This CD is great for metal rhythm guitarists out there.

People were worried about Killswitch Engage having a new lyrical direction when the band hired Howard Jones as new vocalist. However, Howard shows that he has the same lyrical views as former singer Jesse Leach, and he incorporates those songs with songs of his own personal writing style. For instance, you have the more "Jesse" type of songs like "Take This Oath," "A Bid Farewell," "Declaration," etc. followed up with more emotional songs like "The End of Heartache" and "Rose of Sharyn," a song that was written in dedication to his deceased grandmother. Howard's vocals, in my opinion, are better than Jesse's for the following reasons: First, the screaming is audible (one can understand the words); second, the singing is a lot more crisp and one can definitely tell that he's had training (he and Adam take vocal lessons from Melissa Cross); third, he has a more dynamic, almost god-like booming voice. Jesse definitely has a great screaming and singing voice, but as one would find out later, Jesse used more emotion than technique, and with that being the wrong way to scream, Jesse blew out his voice. Great job to Howard on this first effort!

I'd say that this record is as excellent as All That Remains "The Fall Of Ideals"(both produced by Adam Dutkiewicz). As goes with sound, Killswitch Engage really has its own unique heaviness and quality. It really does knock you on your ass! The best track on this whole CD in my opinion would have to be "Breathe Life." The chorus is just so powerful and Adam's small solo fits perfectly. And when I say that it's the best track, that's really not saying much; all of the tracks on this CD are awesome! The band definitely scored well with Howard Jones on vocals. Apparently, Phil Labonte from All That Remains was capable of taking the position! I love everything about this CD. Killswitch Engage are the USA Kings of Metalcore; no getting past that. There is absolutely nothing on this CD that I hate. If you are a big hardcore/metal fan, you have to get this CD! Quite frankly, if someone were to steal this from me, I would "bid farewell" to that asshole as I throw him down somewhere deep.

colster6000
    killswitch are ****in awesome! Im stoked to hear they're coming back to Australia in october!! Bring it on!!!! btw i love Rose Of Sharyn, End Of Heartache but i reckon the best song on the album is "trackname pending" the guitar riff in that song is something else...
    killertom
    ^ Nah. This IS an awesome CD, nothing as good as the first two, but still. AWESOME.
    xzist
    i hated this cd, new singer and new lyrics were just annoying to me... dont buy it if youre looking for killswitch engage or alive or just breathing type of songs. if you want extremely whiney "omg my girlfriend left me" lyrics then this is for you
    freakonaleash92
    Aszo Kraana
    quote]freakonaleash92 wrote: World Ablaze is the most ****ing annoying intro riff ITS FUCKING 5/4 nothing is more annoying GRRRRR[/quote] Dude, stuff in 5/4 can be amazing if you do it right, and they totally did. Kickass album, I personally like Howard Jones better than Jesse Leach.
    Bloodriot20
    White this album was there breakthrough, and got them commercial success, I prefer their previous effect "Alive Or Just Breathing". That release wasn't epic or genre-defining in any way, but it was very heavy. I like my music Underground, well, most of it. That's not to say I don't like this album though, it's flippin' amazing. All the correct ingredients were thrown into the pot resulting in something that'll always leave you with a pleasant taste in your mouth.