In Memory Of The Singing Bridge review by Kina Grannis

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Kina Grannis: In Memory Of The Singing Bridge

This effort was recorded by Kina in her garage, resulting in a collection of acoustic tracks. She comprised this album prior to gathering her (now huge!) online following after winning the Crash The Superbowl competition, it was the follow up to her debut, "Sincerely, Me"; an album that she released online. This effort, I think, was just a way for her to get some more songs out there. Although, for her fans, this record is great! It doesn't consist of alot of instruments, (just a guitar and a beautiful voice! ) and it isn't professionally produced, which is evident at times! However, it holds some great vocals and some lovely writing. Once again, Kina's harmonies hit the spot! She is a very talented girl!

Kina is a fantastic songwriter, this record shows her lyrical skills amazingly; her songs are stories. "Memory" for example is a touching song that, she said, is about a dream she had. She sings about monsters attacking and leaving copper faces around town (heads up pennies to make people feel lucky), a hobby she admits to doing in real life. The chorus is sung with great emotion, she sings: "Although she's gone, although its over, a memory hangs on." Kina sings from the heart as always, and her songs are stories of personal experience. She sings about losing track in "Too Soon", she talks about trying to find herself and needing space to grow. Her songs are very relatable to and her emotion is always put across well. I would say that "Don't Cry" is the low point of the album, I find the guitar to be very repetitive in the verses, although the lyrics are well written and with a good message. Also, the unusual song that is '! '... ?! I like it... I just don't quite get it! It's a one minute song that doesn't seem to match up to the quality of the other songs. The lyrics, to me, are almost inaudible, and I find this to be the most important part of listening to a song! Other than these songs, I think the songwriting is strong and consistently at a high standard.

I think this is a nice acoustic album, and it needs to be taken as just that. I would definitely recommend it... But not to everyone. Only because, some people wouldn't appreciate the beauty of Kina's music. If you are someone who likes Lady Gaga or Ke$ha or that kind of commercial "poppy" music... Then maybe this album isn't exactly your cup of tea! Kina isn't a fake, she isn't a sell out, and she isn't becoming one any time soon. This is a REAL album, that shows real songwriting ability, real stories, a real voice and real talent. So, if you are a fan of real music, definitely listen to this album. Kina's voice and her songwriting talents, are way above average in todays music business. She could outwrite or outsing any of todays top artists! I find that these abilities tend to overshadow her incredible guitar talent... Which could not go unmentioned in this review! Overall, I like this album. The songs are well written, Kina's voice is always perfect, her harmonies are really pretty, and the guitar suits well! I would advise everyone to check out Kina... Maybe not this album, for those more commercial lovers out there, but she is incredibly talented, and makes some great music!