Handshakes For Bullets review by Kinesis

• Released: Sep 29, 2003
Kinesis: Handshakes For Bullets

The sound is very different. Hard to tie Kinesis down to a paticular genre. However if we're splitting hairs I guess they fall under the category punk/rock. The guitarist of the band (Conor McGloin) once stated that he hated the sound of the guitar and tried to change it and make it totally different sounding. He manages to achieve this on the record. Paticularly on the tracks 'Average American Corpse' and 'Conveyor Belt Destruction'. Of course you could not call the band punk/rock without a copious amount of distortion and powerchords used. Kinesis still manage to make an original sounding record despite this.

The lyrics cannot be faulted. They tend to centre around the conformity of the youth of today which i'm sure many teenagers can relate to. The track 'Billboard Beauty' in particular has excellent lyrics in my opinion; 'The flesh will be stuffed into the dress/Even if it doesn't fit/ Obsess ourselves with matchstick perfection'. The lyrics are catchy and provide plenty of hooks to have you singing along after 1 or 2 listens.

I bought this 2 days ago and it hasn't left my CD player. My favourite songs on the album are 'Billboard Beauty', '...And They Obey', '(Cling To Your) Innocence' and 'Average American Corpse'. I love everything about this record, nothing to fault at all. If I lost the record there is no doubt that I would go out and buy another copy of it. I will definitely try and get the rest of Kinesis' back catalogue.