Earthbound review by King Crimson

• Released: Sep 17, 2002
King Crimson: Earthbound

The sound is perfect. The songs from this album are recorded at many different places but they always keep the sound the same, and by that I mean great. The sound is not bad but it's nothing remarkable. I love the sound, but I'm looking at this from a "non-crimson fanatic" point of view. You won't be dissapointed, I can tell you that. Robert Fripp is great as always. He can play a wide range of different music styles. He is incredible in 21st Century Schizoid Man. But since it's a live album, the sound quality is not the same as from a studio album. But for a live album I'd say that the sound quality is great.

The lyrics are very cool. Just look at 21st Century Schizoid Man. They go "Cat's foot! Iron claw! Neuro surgeons scream for more! At paranoias poison door! 21st Century schizoid man!" And they are being screamed out while Fripp plays some sick chord on the guitar. The lyrics are very simple yet very effective. They usually consist of four lines like in 21st Century Schizoid Man. But the album also consists of instrumentals like The Sailors Tale. Overall the lyrics are awesome!

This is King Crimsons first live album and their second best live album overall in my opinion (The best is Vrooom Vrooom). For being the first live album of this band, it is incredible and is a must buy for any fan/collector. The most impressive songs from the album are Earthbound, Groon and of course; 21st Century Schizoid Man (the most impressive is the last one). I love the songs and that their first live performance is so good. The only thing I don't like about it is that the electronical sound of the vocalists voice in 21st Century Schizoid Man is missing. But this is a minor problem. If this was lost or stolen, I would definitely rebuy it. Not a doubt. A must have!

shotgunjoe
    Earthbound? The sound quality is terrible, but you can hear through the hiss and distortion some absolutely excellent performances, the highlights being 21st Century Schizoid Man and The Sailor's Tale. However, I'd have to say this is solely collectable, and not terribly listenable, due to the terrible sound quality.
    Big Tommy P
    I have to agree with Shotgunjoe, I was initially disappointed with the quality of the sound. However, it has grown on me, and I've come to enjoy it, it gives the album character. And yes, some absolutely stunning performances.
    Oliver_White3
    Most certainly, the quality of sound is the only issue at hand here I feel once one can break through that barrier the album becomes quite enjoyable with some stunning pieces.