The Puppet Master review by King Diamond

• Released: Oct 20, 2003
King Diamond: The Puppet Master

The Album is a concept album about a Man his Girlfriend, a twisted Puppet Master and lots of Christmas. The album starts with Midnight, a short yet dark and atmospheric song featuring an organ sound and sets the theme for the album. Then there is The Puppet Master and Magic where this man meets Victoria, and fall in love almost immediately. One year later at Christmas Victoria goes missing and King sets off to find her, met by the sight of The Puppet Masters wife killing a homeless... The Album features what I think is King's most depressing song - So Sad and still manages to sound metal at the same time. The album also features another christmas song, with parts of The Little Drummer boy.

The lyrics are definitely the goriest lyrics King has ever wrote, particularly during No More Me, with gory lyrics set to a waltz theme. They also feature plenty of emotion too, especially in So Sad and Living Dea. Something new for King is in the vocals this time though, a female singer! She sings very softly and sweetly to some twisted lines which give it a feeling of being very detached, and mentally unstable, especially in Emerencia. King's own vocals feature less high falsetto vocals than usual, although there are still plenty to give it his signature sound.

This album was a step back in the right direction, to inspired albums and is a great album, well worth the 13 I spent on it. The way the story is set out on the songs reminds me of earlier albums such as Abigail and Them, although the music is heavier and less technical than those albums. The most impressive song in my opinion is Darkness, the lyrics and music are entwined so perfectly that you can envision it all with puppets marching, and the leading into So Sad makes it that little bit better. The only problem I have with this album is the 7/8 songs, No More Me and Blood to Walk. Although No More Me sounded great at first, its gotten boring after a few listens and Blood to walk was repetitive and boring, there's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing good about the song either. If it were lost or stolen, and I had 13 more than whatever my next amp costs spare then I'd buy it straight away, easily Kings best album in recent years.

zapatista89
    Rimpitzki wrote: The Puppet Master -> Master Of Puppets... lol? : D
    well metallica ripped off them enough, there allowed some back
    metallicafan616
    the sound is only 7 because compared to earlier albums it isn't a 10. and the story is nothing alike to master of puppets
    CommunistBear
    RZK88 wrote: GRANDMAAAAA sorry CommunistBear
    Hahaha all good mate, no worries. GRANDMAAAAA
    Sithslayer
    my favorite king diamond album the guitars might not be as complex as some of the other albums but the story really hits me more than the others, I actually liked no more me maybe its just because of the strange looks passer by give when its playing in my car lol.
    metallicafan616
    I'm not 6 years late, i would have been 8 years old to right it then haha! and although it does have great songs like Darkness, So Sad, Christmas and Living Dead the rest of the album was a bit sub-par...
    happywhendrunk
    I find Midnight,The Puppet Master, Magic & Emerencia to be the best tracks on the album theyre just belters. It goes downhill a bit after that but not by much. I guess i just love atmospheric build ups. Blood to walk,darkness & christmas are also definitely worth a mention. And seen as the the reviewer didn't mention the female vocals are Livia Zita Kings wife