The Puppet Master Review

Genre: Heavy Metal / Black Metal
Label: Massacre Records
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
The Puppet Master Reviewed by: metallicafan616, on june 08, 2009

Sound: The Album is a concept album about a Man his Girlfriend, a twisted Puppet Master and lots of Christmas. The album starts with Midnight, a short yet dark and atmospheric song featuring an organ sound and sets the theme for the album. Then there is The Puppet Master and Magic where this man meets Victoria, and fall in love almost immediately. One year later at Christmas Victoria goes missing and King sets off to find her, met by the sight of The Puppet Masters wife killing a homeless... The Album features what I think is King's most depressing song - So Sad and still manages to sound metal at the same time. The album also features another christmas song, with parts of The Little Drummer boy. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely the goriest lyrics King has ever wrote, particularly during No More Me, with gory lyrics set to a waltz theme. They also feature plenty of emotion too, especially in So Sad and Living Dea. Something new for King is in the vocals this time though, a female singer! She sings very softly and sweetly to some twisted lines which give it a feeling of being very detached, and mentally unstable, especially in Emerencia. King's own vocals feature less high falsetto vocals than usual, although there are still plenty to give it his signature sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was a step back in the right direction, to inspired albums and is a great album, well worth the 13 I spent on it. The way the story is set out on the songs reminds me of earlier albums such as Abigail and Them, although the music is heavier and less technical than those albums. The most impressive song in my opinion is Darkness, the lyrics and music are entwined so perfectly that you can envision it all with puppets marching, and the leading into So Sad makes it that little bit better. The only problem I have with this album is the 7/8 songs, No More Me and Blood to Walk. Although No More Me sounded great at first, its gotten boring after a few listens and Blood to walk was repetitive and boring, there's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing good about the song either. If it were lost or stolen, and I had 13 more than whatever my next amp costs spare then I'd buy it straight away, easily Kings best album in recent years. // 8

Comments