Only by the Night review by Kings of Leon

• Released: Sep 23, 2008
Kings of Leon: Only by the Night

Thick southern rock, bit more indie than before but way more to my preference, much more melodic and catchy than previous albums. I'd heard singles USe Somebody and Sex On Fire before I got the album, and I love them, but there are tons of other good songs that haven't made the charts. Revelry is a great tune, mostly keyboards but really nice lyrics. Manhattan is a really good example of simple guitar playing that works with song, about inviting people to party regardless of who they are. Notion is maybe my favourite, its a brilliant song, catchy but not poppy. Finally Be Somebody is another grea song, Drop D tuning so a bit fatter. Crawl is good if you're a U2 fan. Just great southern indieish rock, sometimes a teensy bit murky if I'm desperatley trying to find something bad to say.

Caleb has an incredible voice, really smoky, that matches the songs exactly. The lyrics are actually thought about, not just based on what rhymes. Real passion, not a bad line on the album. Revelry, Use Somebody, and Manhattan have the best lyrics in my opinion, lyrics that make it clear the song has a topic, often quite a dark topic, and they are finally a band with something to say. I like the old stuff, but this is a utterly fresh sound that beats it hands down.

Best album I've bought this year, by a mile. In my opinion better than Because of the Times, but i only heard of the Kings when Sex On Fire came out, and I listened to BOTT after that. Fans thatt have known for longer may not like the new direction, more commercial maybe, but in my opinion just better songs, and its stupid when people don't like new stuff because its catchier. 10/10 because there are so many good songs on there.

prt1990
    This is my least favourite album of theirs. For me, part of their appeal was in their retro sound and now they've lost that, becoming more mainstream and, i think, less interesting.
    Stugg334
    people just want copies of their first album, when a bands sound changes its called progression, and this album is undoubtedly progression. just look at green day, they've changed their sound a million times.
    Stugg334
    and i didnt mention in my review, but 17 sounds like a bit of an interlude that they tried to twist into a song. its alright, but maybe not complete
    againsteternity
    This is my least favorite album they seem less creative to me on this album there is a few good songs I like "reverly" but did anyone notice Caleb repeated himself alot on this album
    Twilight7896
    I thought this was a great album. I have had it for about 2 1/2 weeks and its the only thing I can listen to. I am seeing them in Nashville in October and I can't wait. I already have the tickets booked. I haven't listened to much of thier older stuff and am a pretty new fan to KOL, but I am itching to listen to thier other albums, I'm sure that they will be as great as this.
    imagine21
    I absolutely love this whole album (ok except "17") I have not removed it from my trucks cd player since it came out. Good Job KOL