Youth & Young Manhood Review

9.5
 9.8
 9.1
Youth & Young Manhood Reviewed by: geekynerd, on september 26, 2003

Sound: Nothing too innovative, but it is quite original, and catchy. It's amazing, unabrashed rock at it's best. Amazingly cathcy, you will find yourself mumbling along to the words. There is a diverse range of songs, from "Wasted Time" to "Trani" to "Dusty". This is definitely worth the $10 bucks. The hooks are amazing, and every song is great. // 10

Lyrics: Caleb Followill's voice matches the songs perfectly, and it's all very complimentary. However, to be honest, half the time I can't understand what the hell he's saying, but it doesn't matter, it's the music that counts. The chorus of "Red Morning Light" sounds ust like mumbling, but, then again, it's all complimentary and fits the band's sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums now, totally worth the ten dollars I paid for it. EVERY song is worth a listen. I would buy it again, and I love everything, except one thing that annoys me to no end. At the end of "Holy Roller Novacaine", there is a bonus track, but instead of being a seperate track, they have like a 5 minute silence until there, so you can't go to that song just by choice without fast-forwarding. Biggest complaint, too short. // 10

Youth & Young Manhood Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2004

Sound: Some say these guys are just the Strokes with beards. They aren't. For one, Kings of Leon have a helluva vocalist called Caleb Followill, with a voice that sounds about 30 years older than he actually is. It's a sort of country/folk rock these guys are going for on this, their debut record, and it sounds to me like they've nailed it. Lead guitarist Matthew Followill (they're all related)pulls off some cracking solos on just about every song, only deviating from standard tuning on 2 songs (Happy Alone & Genius), while the bass riff on Joe's Head just blows you away. Nathan Followill keeps it good and simple on the drums; he makes himself noticed in Red Morning Light by drumming with what sounds like a kettle. Anyway, the connection between the brothers (and cousin) is electric, owing to their childhood spent together entirely on the road with their Preacher father (called Leon, hence the band's name). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, although sometimes hard to understand given Caleb's nasal twangy voice, do show themselves worthy of recognition. As the record's title suggests, the songs do deal with Youth & Young Manhood - sexual confusion in songs like Trani and Happy Alone ("Wearing Your Cherry Lipstick") crops up, as well as murder (Joe's Head), and people's sometimes ludicrous expectations of their children (Genius). Some might not like the spoken-word style of Wasted Time, but the sheer brilliance of the playing on that song won me over after a while. Not exactly Dylan-esque poetry in the lyrics, but the great southern character of Caleb's voice and the attitude behind it drives each song along flawlessly. // 8

Overall Impression: There isn't a single song I don't love on this album - hang on as well at the end of Holy Roller Novocaine as well for a hidden track called Talihina Skies - you'll have to fast forward a bit because of the six-minutes silence that follows Holy Roller but it's worth it, trust me. So is buying this album. If it were stolen. Well, it wouldn't get stolen, because the theif would have to first pry it from my CD player without me noticing, because it is constantly in there. I would buy it again a million times - but since i have the limited edition CD sleeve, it might not be the same. I have to be honest and say that I couldn't hate anything about it except the sleeve notes: ie. there aren't any, just pictures of the band. Perhaps next time they could put a little paper hat Kings of Leon hat in there? In conclusion, this album is an essential for any self-respecting music-lover - put aside assumptions of all Southern boys being inbred rednecks. They out-class, out-play, and generally out-rock every other contemporary band (that includes the Darkness; fan as i am of their work, they don't know the value of sleeve design or tight group playing). Listen and learn the ways of rock and roll. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you. Youth & Young Manhood. // 10

Youth & Young Manhood Reviewed by: screwup30, on august 21, 2007

Sound: Do you like your music to rock and roll? I mean, every jackass with a big amp can be loud! But what I'm talking about can't be bought in your local guitar store, the true essence of rock is what I'm talking about. Kings of Leon have it! And they know they have it! Red Morning Light, the album opener is brilliant and it just gets better. The album is everything rock music should be: memorable riffs, pounding drums and exciting solos. It helps that Caleb Followill (lead singer) can scream, sing, moan and groan the way a great frontman should. Another favourite is 3rd track Wasted Time, it just rocks with it's stop/start riffs and another fantastic solo. The next three tracks; Joes Head, Trani and California Waiting slow it all down. Giving you just enough time to chill out and release how good this band is, as songwriters, musicians and rockstars. It all kicks off again with Spiral Staircase, a track with more groove and rhythm than most jazz/funk bands. And finally the moment I had been waiting for: the perfect 21st century rock song aka Mollys Chambers. Words can not describe my love for this track, the riff is an instant classic as it lurches along before the orgasmic explosion that is the solo. The final 3 that close the album are just as good as before, with the last song Holy Roller Novacaine being a particular favourite. This album is hard rock at it's best, an instant classic. // 10

Lyrics: You've all heard the old cliche: sex, drugs and rock n' roll. Right? Well that's what Youth and Young Manhood is all about. There might be a few that are too highbrow for this sorta stuff, but it's exactly what rock is all about. The girl you've always wanted, the late night sex and the early morning hangovers. it's all here and more! Caleb Followill knows what he's talking about, and the emotion he puts into the singing is compelling aswell as rocking. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression? In one word I would say: perfect. I was only 13 when I first bought this album but even back then I knew it was a classic. Four years on and two King's records later this is still my favourite, that's not to say the other two aren't as good, they are excellent! But, I will always love this album more. So if your thinking of getting the album and I still haven't swayed you I have one piece of advice. Listen to Mollys Chambers and then decide. // 10

Comments