Gretchen Goes To Nebraska Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Gretchen Goes To Nebraska Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2011

Sound: I'm really surprised no one's reviewed this on here yet, then again this band has always been incredibly underrated. King's X is a three piece that whose unique sound has influenced many bands, especially those on the Grunge scene in the 90's. Some, like Pearl Jam, have acknowledged their influence, while others are sometimes unaware of how trendsetting this band's sound has been. Their songs are very technicalm, but not for the sake of being showboaters. They quite simply bring their own unique character to the songs they write, and aren't afraid to experiment with styles and tones. Ty Tabor is an amazing guitarist, who is technically probably one of the greatest guitarists I've ever heard in my life (check out his work on Summerland and The Difference and tell me I'm wrong). Doug Pinnick is both the bassist and frontman, and his skill in both roles would give Sting and Phil Lynott a run for their money. Last, but certanely not least, is the drummer Jerry Gaskill. He is an excellent groove drummer who I think is only compatrable to someone like Jimmy Chamberlin or Chad Smith. Like them he takes a beat and completely makes it his own, while never forgetting to play for the song. // 10

Lyrics: Even though Pinnick is the lead singer, all three members of the band contribute to their music's vocals. All three are excellent singers, and work together to create some beautiful harmonies, probably due to their huge Beatles influence. Pinnick's voice however, is a force to be reckoned with. His range is incredibly wide, and he brings so much passion to his words (especially on numbers like Over My Head) that you can't help but be swept along. The only weakness is that in some songs the lyrics aren't the greatest. On this album it's really not an issue, but in later releases you notice that he tends to get a little too sentimental on some of the songs. It doesn't detract too much from your enjoyment of their music though. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an epic and awe inspiring album, that you have to be a musician to truly love. It also provides the perfect introuction to this amazing band. If you dig Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, you should also check out Out of The Silent Planet, Tape Head and Dogman. All three are excellent and perfect combinations of the heavy and melodic. If this album was ever lost I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, and I don't buy many albums any more to begin with. Check it out, and prepare to be amazed. I'm just warning you though, once you listen you WILL want to start learning their songs. // 10

Comments