Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions review by KISS

• Released: Oct 28, 1997
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
KISS: Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions

The sound on this KISS album sounds very late '90s. It is heavier than other Kiss albums. This really shows how Kiss progressed since the '70s. The band changes their sound with the decades. If you listen to Love Gun from the '70s amd compare it to Carnival Of Souls, you can hear the change in sound. I believe Gene Simmons voice compliments the certain songs he sings on the album. In all honesty though, he should have sang all the tracks on this album. It is like Paul Stanley's voice doesn't really fit as well as Gene's. Gene Simmons bass is very evident on every track as well as Bruce Kulick's guitar. Eric Singer's drumming is very good and steady, but the album still lacks a certain aspect that all Kiss albums usually have. It really has a hard rock feel, while still clinging to their arena rock sound.

The lyrics also have a little less to be desired. Gene does very well on Hate. His voice really fits the tone on that track. Paul does ok on some of the tracks. He really tries hard on Master & Slave but, it sounds almost to forced to be real.

Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions does not compare to any other Kiss album in any way. Saying that sadly, because Kiss has always been one of the best if not the best rock band of all time. As for the impressive tracks on the album - Hate, Childhood's End, and I Will Be There. The fact of how good it is or not how good it is may have to do with why it only costs $5. 99 to buy now in major retail stores like Wal-Mart and K-Mart. If you do want to get this album, I suggest you buy it in a rock music 3-pack it comes in. I think it comes with Scorpions and Alice Cooper. This album is only for the die-hard Kiss fans to enjoy. If your not a Kiss fan I would not suggest this album for you.

Spineburger
    Man, I loved this album! I think I'm the only one. Haha. But seriously, It blows "Sonic Boom" away. That album was just fukin retarded! But it's not like anyone will ever see this so what is the use. Oh but Bruce Kulick's song on here does suck.
    flynn0217
    I'm listening to this album for the first time on Youtube and I'll tell you, the beginning tracks sound like modern Metallica music wise, but it is really differnt for Kiss and personally I think it's a great album too because it strays away from the usual Kiss music which shows how really talented they can be, but it obviously comes with a pricetag considering all the drama between the orginal guys.
    chriss.dks.6
    I love this album you can hear from thefirst song to the last one that Kulick was 110% on that album. The album is very KISS, cuz no one expected how this album sounds just like the elder or Dynasty or Unmasked. Carnival Of souls the final sessions is KISS meets metal and grunge