Destroyer review by KISS

• Released: Mar 15, 1976
KISS: Destroyer

This is the Album, that turned Kiss from hardcore rockstars to comic book heros, here to stay. While the sound of the record differs from the first three studio albums, the songs are faster, the guitars more metallic, and a different sound, the album is strong. With teenage anthems, "Shout It Out Loud" and "Flaming Youth" and songs about sex, groupies, "King of the Nighttime World" and "Sweet Pain" and the opening track "Detroit Rock City" which is about the true, tragic, story of a teenage KISS fan who dies on his way to a Kiss concert. The sound effects used in "Detroit Rock City", "God of Thunder" and the hidden track, were at the time of 1976, high tech, and gives the album a snapshot in time, that is still solid after all these years. While it isn't as hardcore as there first albums, I belive it deserves a 9.

The lyrics, give the album a concept almost. The lyrics, are about sex, "my sweet pain", and teenage anthems, "my parents think I'm Lazy, man if they only knew" or "shout it, shout it out loud, you've got to have a party." Give the album a concept because it shows how the songwriters, can reach into there fans, and pull out what they feel and make it into something they can understand. Also a highlight on the album, the ballad "Beth" shows the sensitive side to the band. Although the lyrics and feel to "Great Expectations" and "Beth" are not rock n roll in a sense, the rest of the album is pure rock and rebillion.

This is one of Kiss's timeless albums, highlights include: Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Flaming Youth, Shout It Out Loud, and Beth. Although not as rocking as previous albums, very good. The production is fantastic, and the lyrics are timeless. If I lost this album, I would do anything to get it back, because it is so amazing.