Dressed to Kill review by KISS

• Released: Mar 19, 1975
KISS: Dressed to Kill

KISS's third album, even though was their worst charted album at the time, it is actually alot better than the charts and some people claimed it to be. The music is the same, but the sound of the guitars and drums are a little different. On the first album, the music was extremely raw. On the second album, the guitars had alot more power to them, even the drums. But, on this one the power of the guitars are dropped down, but more powerful than the first album. The singing is really good on this one too. Also, for anyone looking for an album with Ace Frehely singing, go to "Love Gun". The drums are very well-done on this album. This album is bassically how hard rock gets.

The lyrics mainly involve sex. But there are a few songs that stay away from that aspect of things: 01. Room Service: this one is about having random sex with the maids or female employees at high priced hotels. (This is before those god-awful priceline commercials with William Shatner.) 02. Two Timer: this one talks of some poor guy finding out that his girlfriend is cheating on him. Gene sings it, so it kinda fits. 03. Ladies In Waiting: this one is so simple. Don't keep the ladies waiting for sex. Once again, Gene sings it. YAY! 04. Getaway: the only song Peter sings on. It's actually pretty catchy, and it's one of my personal favorites on this album. This one talks of.....getting away. (I never looked to hard into this song!) 05. Rock Bottom: this one talks of how the singer's lady completely mistreats him and "never treats him like she should". It has a really cool beginning that is very harmony filled. 06. C'mon And Love Me: I never really got too much into this song. It talks about a girl who found a rockstar in music magazine and how she ends up, go figure, having sex with him. 07. Anything For My Baby: this is one of those cheap kinda 60's songs that shound like a moron coulda wrote it. I've never been too big of a fan of this song. This bassically tlaks of how a guy would do anything for his baby. 08. She: this song is probably my favorite on this album, because it sounds a little different than all of the other songs on this album. It's a little slower, but it is alot harder on the rock-o-meter. But, go figure, it talks about a prostitute. The live version of the song is always fun because of Ace's solo at the end. 09. Love Her All I Can: this one is actually dangerously catchy. And it is another one of my favorites from this album. It also has a really cool solo that I gotta give Ace props for. Also, it doesn't talk about sex! It just talks about how much a guy loves his girl. 10. Rock And Roll All Nite: now, for the song KISS is best known for... but not this verison. The ALIVE! version is better. This one doesn't have a guitar solo to it, and the last full minute is just repeating the same chorus lines. Plus, it also sounds like they added 15 or 20 people to the chorus. I think they thought it would make it sound better, but it just sounded cheesier in my opinion.

The songs on this album are good, but I think that KISS could've expanded on what their songs were about. Of their first three albums, this is my least favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. But, I do think that they could've spent a bit more time on making this album, and made it better. The most impressive songs are probably She, Love Her All I Can, Getaway, and Rock Bottom. If this album was stolen from me, I might buy it again, but that is a very big might. Overall, it's a decent album.

E.harley
    being a kiss fan of 35+ yrs, dressed to kill is in my top 3 kiss records of all time. this album is the best of there first 3, i'll take nothing away from there first album, but dressed to kill was recorded cleaner, clearer, and more up beat than anything up 'til rock and roll over. if your looking for a true, straight up, no bulls**t rock n roll record of the 70's, look no further!
    Root Beer
    abbydaddy03 wrote: I know lots of people love them but Kiss (actually spelled K.I.S.S.) was boring. All makeup, flash, and bang with music in the background. None of their songs ever got to that 'sing all day in your head' point. They pounded out standard riffs and solos in 3:15 for radio play. I considered them like the Monkees. Well, not that bad, but under all the noise and glitter ..yawn.. everything the same.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Kiss is one of those bands where, underneath the makeup, pyrotechnics, marketing, and jumping around like idiots, they are no better than your average garage band.
    swave75
    Rock'n'roll All Nite (the studio version) is just as good as the live version. I am a HUGE KISS fan and while I do love Dressed to Kill...it's not my fave. The first three studio albums all have great moments but they have some weak ones too. Lots of songs reworked from their days as Wicked Lester and various other bands. To say they are like the Monkees is crazy considering that KISS wrote their own music and played their own instruments.
    swave75
    Love this one. Not their best, but not their worst. great album cover.
    Brine669
    Of the first 3 albums....this one ranks 3rd in my book. But..it's a classic. Just as the other 2 are. DIE HARD KISS FAN RIGHT HERE. FOR LIFE.
    Powerageman
    Sabscope wrote: No offense, but that was a pretty shallow review. What did the critics dislike about it? Did they have a point? What is the instrumentation like? Etc...
    I'm not saying I didn't like the album. I'm saying that I think they tried to recapture the whole idea they had from their first album, and I'll be honest, they did kind of a less that super job with it. It's a good album, but there are alot better KISS albums.
    rickyj
    i got this on vinyl in the kiss originals set signed by all original band members, thats right be jealous.
    rickyj
    ooftymcgoofty wrote: GoingNumb wrote: But I would like to hear why some of the critics didn't like it, or why it ranked in the charts so poorly. KISS is big, but I wonder why they didn't make it to the top? kiss didn't make it to the top?! where were you in the late 70's/early 80's!? kiss were HUGE!!!
    yea really,the 80's kiss with bruce and eric is my 2nd favorite album, right next ot the original of course.
    Zxdread
    No doubt their debut album was the best...The songs were fresh, raw and, at the time, something a little different. Hotter than Hell while good was a typical follow up album. With the exception of "Goin Blind" and "Strange Ways" (both fantastic songs!!) it was standard Kiss. With "Dressed to Kill" it sounded like Kiss was trying to catch the feel of their debut and they almost did it! "She" has got to be one of their best live songs. But then again..That's just my opinion.
    ooftymcgoofty
    GoingNumb wrote: I can't see why people don't like this album. This is one of my favorite KISS albums! Then again, I'm a KISS fan. It has some great songs, and despite how KISS is better live, Rock and Roll All Nite is not a bad studio song. KISS is overall, a live band, and the studio albums are just the tip of what they can do on stage. But I'm glad you liked it and thought it was better than what the critics said and what the charts stated. It is a good album and people need to listen to it. But I would like to hear why some of the critics didn't like it, or why it ranked in the charts so poorly. KISS is big, but I wonder why they didn't make it to the top?
    GoingNumb