Hotter Than Hell review by KISS

• Released: Jan 1, 1974
KISS: Hotter Than Hell

I'd give a 7 for Kiss' second album Hotter Than Hell as it was using the same sound from the previous album, nothing really changed which was quite dissapointing but don't get me wrong that vintage tone is brilliant on old records. The music on this album isn't as strong as the previous album either, on Kiss they spent so much time writing material for it wheras Hotter Than Hell seems a little rushed. On the front cover of the album their are Japaneese letters as they had a huge following in Japan, the Americans thought they might be Japaneese and took the make up ideas from Japaneese Kabuki Theatre. The back of the record has a weird photo which everyone was drunk during the photo shoot, well all except Gene who doesnt't drink. Peter Criss said that 'It was a wild photo session for the back cover. I was sitting in an armchair there with this broad givibg me head with a mask on.' Well as Peter said it must have been some party.

I think again alike the sound the lyrics are a bit less interesting than the first album or it was similiar but because it had been done previously it wasn't as good as it could have been. However you must take into account that Kiss were solidly touring and then all of a sudden Casablanca Records told them to go in and make a new record. So with that in mind some of the songs are quite good. I think the best song where the lyrics fit with the music is Goin' Blind. Gene wrote Goin Blind in 1970 when in an earlier band, It sounds so much better unplugged though. I think Paul Stanleys singing skils actually improved slightly on this album compared to the previous Kiss album as he reaches some quite high notes, and is singing over some difficult music aswell. Overall good lyrics but could have been a lot better.

I think that in comparison to the first Kiss album Kiss it isnt as good but it is a good album, compared to future albums it is in the middle compared to some of the strongest albums such as Alive!, Destroyer and Revenge. The most impressive songs of the album are probarbly Watchin' You, Goin' Blind and Parasite. Watchin' You stands out as it has such an evil riff, it's very heavy for 1974 and is also put together well lyrically. Goin' Blind I explained in the Lyrics section. Parasite is one of the most impressive songs on the album, infact it is the best song on the album just down to that riff that Ace made it is so amazing. I love the album art, it's so psychedellic and very Jimi Hendrix. If it was stolen or lost I'm not sure if I'd buy it again. It's a good album but I don't know if I like it that much to be honest.