KISS review by KISS

• Released: Feb 8, 1974
KISS: KISS

The albums sound is really gritty and dirty but in a good way, the distortion sounds really amazing because it isnt amazing but it has that retro feel to it. This bieng the first Kiss album it wasn't really a big hit when it came out and wasn't until 1975 when Alive! came out that people went back and bought the old albums and realised what they were missing out on. You can see Peter Criss' roots on this album and especially on Nothing To Lose as it has such an R'n'B feel towards it wheras Gene, Paul and Ace have more of a Led Zeppelin Classic rock kind of playing.

The lyrics are a bit too cliche but they are very good, their is a sexual innuendo in Nothing To Lose, which is in reference to anal sex, 'Before I had a baby, We tried everyway, I thought about the backdoor, I didn't know what to say'. But all of the lyrics are cleverally put together. All of the lyrics go well with the music and the overall vocalists are very good, however in years to come Paul Stanleys vocal range increases massively.

I believe that this album is unique, as it has its own sound, its own musical influences and its own feel to it that no other band really has on albums anymore. All of the songs are impressive of the album but if I had to choose one song of the entire album that stands our the most it would have to be Deuce. The intro riff is amazing. the solo is amazing. the lyrics are amazing. The song just has so much feeling to it and such a great energy you just want to headbang to the song for ever. If I had lost the album I would go out and buy it again, however this is not the strongest of Kiss albums. But it is a great album.

StarChildSammy
    This album ROCKS, it's very underrated, it deserves more attention for it's great work that KISS did in it, and i've seen very overrated albums that suck, for example listen the AC/DC album "Back in Black" the title song is good, but the rest of the songs suck it hard.